catching chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sc anderson, Dec 1, 2009.

1. sc anderson

sc anderson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    what is the best way to catch a running chicken?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Good luck with that. I can't catch them.

If you hold long sticks in your hands to extend your reach you can herd them better.
    or
    corner them up against a wall or fence.

Just be careful to not scare them into hurting themselves

Imp

3. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Big, long handled fishing net. I use mine to steer them into a position where they are easily caught, usually a corner or a wall or fence. Getting them into tall grass helps too.

Anyway, I extend it way out to the right which makes the chicken think either I have really long arms, or the net is another pursuer. Move slow, slightly bent, arms outstretched.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Use children...just tell them to go catch a bird...sit back enjoy the entertainment...learn from their mistakes...and then when the animal is near collapse from being chased...walk out pick it up and look like a chicken ninja

that silly buster saying to use a net! That makes too much sense and really works! My method makes you look cool in the eyes of young people! Then you tell them about how you found eggs in with the bunnies so that means Easter is coming!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have an old poultry hook....I think they still sell them some places.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I prefer to wait until they are on their roost at night . . . but Dunlaps sells poultry hooks . . . my duaghter has threatend to get one for the Austra Whites (see use our kid thread) lol!

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Katy, You must be a lot better with that hook then I am. LOL Mine seem to skip over that thing like it isnt there. I try not to catch them often if the son or son in law isnt around otherwise I use a net. I know they can break some feathers so have been told if I am conditioning for show that the net is a bad choice. They sure can make a fool of me that is for srue.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  8. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:12 GA.......... [​IMG]
    Only kidding. I don't even try to run after mine. But I do use a fat max 25 ft tape measure that I extend out to the length I need to herd them into a good spot to catch them.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I guess it only works for pets, but I can catch mine by pretending to offer treats. [​IMG] The trick is to NOT actually chase them. You have to draw them in and let them come to you.

If your chickens aren't pets, then, all bets are off!! Have fun!!

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Wait until after dark....like picking grapes then! [​IMG] If not, a coat hanger extended straight and then bent a little on one end. Got to make it big enough of a bend to allow a chicken leg in, but small enough in the bend to not slip over the foot. I keep one hanging in the coop at all times....never know when ya might need to catch a chicken. [​IMG]

Takes a little practice.....been doing this for 33 years now and still miss or slip off a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by