Catching Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mei&Popcorn, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my chickens, but I'm not sure if it goes the other way around... They refuse to go into the coop in daylight, only at night. I sometimes end up chasing them up and down the steep hill in my yard. I've tried the slow steady quiet calm approach, but it doesn't work. I don't want to bribe them because they might keep on running just to get more treats... What should I do??

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Any special reason for all the exercise?

3. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I used treats to teach them to come, the have gotten so they will come when called to go into the coop, especially when they are afraid of something. They come for my 9 year old and sometimes he gives them a treat once they go in. I think it takes patience and a treat!

4. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Bribe them with treats! But you have to get them acustomed to you and receiving treats at times other than just when you are lock them up. Other wise they will only associate treats with the loss of freedom and will quit coming to you.

5. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Yep best way is with treats, i done that with mine and i can simply call for them and lead them into the coop they go right in with a few treats of corse. It is soo easy, better then running around after them, and that kind of makes them scared i think.

6. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay! my crazy pullet who refused to be caught just did her first egg squat! its MUCH easier to catch her now!! [​IMG]

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:I agree 100%

8. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Think like a chicken. Normally there is no reason to be in the coop during the daytime.

Even with treats they won't ALL be in the coop during the day like happens at nightfall.

Once they're out for the day, they're out.

In other words plan your day and if you will be gone and can't be there to lock 'em up at night maybe keep them in for that day.

My situation is funny because the lights come on in the coop earlier in the AM than I want to be out there, so I leave them food overnight.

9. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have a 'treat container' (tupperware dish with mealworms in it) that I have used from day one. They know what it looks like and they know what it sounds like, and they know the word "WORMS". All I have to do is get that out, shake it, say 'who wants worms?' and they come from everywhere. If I want them to go in, I can have them follow me, toss a few inside and they will go where the worms are.

10. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    When I bring my chickens treats as I often do, I call, "Chook, chook, chook", even though they always come running like mad when they see me. I do it because when I need to gather them up when they're out free ranging (we have several acres and our 50 chickens tend to scatter quite a bit), I can simply walk into a coop and call "Chook, chook, chook" and they all come running in. I'll scatter a handful of scratch and shut the door. Easy, easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by