Catching chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by highpointfarm, Mar 11, 2012.

1. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Hey guys this is a thread to share you funny stories/good ways to catch your chickens as this can be a pain in the butt......

This afternoon I had to catch a roo, but he wouldnt let me anywhere near him, so finally what i did was made a very loose lasso and lasso'd him =]=]=] (I made sure I did not harm him) LOL

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I either wait til they roost, and if I can't possibly...it becomes a family affair! LOL...can be quite hysterical!

3. BigRedNZ

BigRedNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Headlamp at night trying to spot them... The little buggers eluded me, but I scared a lot of neighbourhood cats. (so no a bad nights work)

4. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I do wait untl roosting time. I also sneak cuddles from my roo lol. I do have a big bell in my yard that I have them trained to come to. Soooo worth the time it took to do it. Although if they have found a stash of bugs they are reluctant to come even with the bell. Then the whole family herds em in!

Last night though - one of them poked in the wrong bush and about 3 small birds came out chirping. (We think they got too close to a nest). Scared 4 of my hens and they ran like their tails were on fire to 'mama')

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by