1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Catching chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by highpointfarm, Mar 11, 2012.

1. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Hey guys this is a thread to share you funny stories/good ways to catch your chickens as this can be a pain in the butt......

This afternoon I had to catch a roo, but he wouldnt let me anywhere near him, so finally what i did was made a very loose lasso and lasso'd him =]=]=] (I made sure I did not harm him) LOL

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I either wait til they roost, and if I can't possibly...it becomes a family affair! LOL...can be quite hysterical!

3. BigRedNZ

BigRedNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Headlamp at night trying to spot them... The little buggers eluded me, but I scared a lot of neighbourhood cats. (so no a bad nights work)

4. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I do wait untl roosting time. I also sneak cuddles from my roo lol. I do have a big bell in my yard that I have them trained to come to. Soooo worth the time it took to do it. Although if they have found a stash of bugs they are reluctant to come even with the bell. Then the whole family herds em in!

Last night though - one of them poked in the wrong bush and about 3 small birds came out chirping. (We think they got too close to a nest). Scared 4 of my hens and they ran like their tails were on fire to 'mama')

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by