Catching duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaSampson, Feb 6, 2013.

1. MommaSampson

MommaSampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    Anyone have any tips on how to catch a duck? A lady is giving me a muscovy that showed up at her house and I can't seem to catch it. I'm going back after dark to see if I can find her.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You maybe able to get her once she goes to roost, unless she roosts in a tree. Good luck

3. animalz11

animalz11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    ooohhh.... good question!
    Muscovy's are unbelievably fast when they want to be!
    When I wanted to catch my 2 little rascals when they were younger I would set up a big track for lem eventually leading into a box. I would have chairs, carboard boxes, feed containers, water dishes... you name, all lined up so they would go in my 'track' and I would walk behind them making sure they went into the box... Although, don't use things that are too short or they will just jump over it! And make sure the box where you are tyring to get them to go in is very big or they wont go...

But when you do catch them it is safest to hold them with 1 hand under their chest and the other hand golding their 2 back feet just above the foot, this way they cannot scratch or bite you and all of their weight is supported, the only problem with this is the flapping, but most ducks don't do this...

Hope I helped! Your sitiation may be different though... Good luck!

4. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Food :) works for me. Whenever we need to catch them I'll feed them a bit later than normal so they are distracted. And a good net. Also doesn't hurt to have help. Someone to keep an eye on it if you get in a tricky situation like it's up a tree. When we catch chickens I shine them with a flashlight so they don't see my husband coming. Hope you got your duck :)

5. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    My husband caught her with a net. Took 4 people to corral her/him into a spot where he could use the net to catch her but he did it.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great news. now when everyone recovers how about some pics? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    [​IMG] Here's Lucy the new one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] This is Waddles

[​IMG]This is McDuck

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very pretty ducks Congrats on Lucy

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know you've already found a solution, but for future reference; I just use an old sheet. Once covered, catching them is easy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by