Catching Escaped Muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DarkWingDuck, Apr 1, 2009.

1. DarkWingDuck

DarkWingDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    Several months ago, I bought 3 muscovy hens and a drake. Not long after, we had a pretty heavy snow and part of the roof collapsed on my duck coop. As a result, the 3 hens flew away (the drake was too fat).

I just assumed that they were gone for good and bought 2 more hens to replace them. A few days ago, however, I discovered them swimming around an abandoned pond in one of the neighborhood pastures.

Today I constructed a wire cage with a funnel leading inside. I tried cracked corn as bait, but the ducks showed no interest. I then took one of the 2 replacement ducks and placed her inside the trap. They others approached the trap and laid beside it, but they never went into it.

Does anyone know a good method that would work in a situation like this? I thought about buying one of the "critter cages" from Tractor Supply. Would one of those work on ducks?

2. hoosiergal40

hoosiergal40 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    I use my "have a heart" trap alot but never for catching ducks.
    You would have to bait it with something very tempting and the duck would have to step on the platform that triggers the door to close. Also, that door comes down quick and with a lot of force. I'm not sure that it wouldn't catch the duck's tail feathers either.
    I always catch raccoons or cats in mine. Wish I could have been more help.

3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    might have to try a net!
    Mine love cut up tomatoes, toss them a few then toss into the trap?
    I just walk behind mine with a stick and the they walk right into their pen! I guide them with the stick!

4. DarkWingDuck

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    If I had a net the first time I saw them, I could have caught 1 or 2; I literally came within 2 feet of them before they jumped into the pond. They've been acting progressively more nervous since, though.

There is another idea I've had, but I consider it to be risky. I thought about taking a few ducks out of one of my pens and placing them on my own pond; maybe this would entice the wayward muscovies to settle beside my house.

One thing that makes me hesitate is the thought of predators -- how well would Swede ducks fare on a pond? I also fear that it wouldn't work and I wouldn't be able to get the Swedes back into their coop. Any thoughts on this?

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Tip if you don't want to catch the cats switch your bait to marshmellows evidently it is a smell bait for coons and possums. I caught my neighboors cat 20 nights before I switched baits:rolleyes: ~gd

6. DarkWingDuck

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    I've been baiting the muscovies with bread every day (not the healthiest, but it's the only thing that entices them). A few hours ago, they flew from another pond into my own pond. To encourage them to stay, I placed one of my 2 replacement muscovy hens in the water with them (with clipped feathers, of course). I just hope they haven't grown too accustomed to traveling to consider hanging around.

7. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Good luck!! Do you think the drake would be better bait for them since all the escapees are females?

8. DarkWingDuck

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    I tried placing the drake into a cage as bait before, but they didn't pay him much attention. Oddly enough, a hen gets their attention much better. Maybe it has something to do with being territorial. They chased and pecked the clipped hen for a few minutes, but now they're starting to intergrate and swim around together.

9. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I have an outdoor "pen" - I made it by making 4 panels, each consistsing of a rectangle frame: 6' long X 3' high, and covered in chicken wire. They are attached at the corners with bailing twine, so the panels are flexible. Don't attach the last panel (so you have 3 sides of a rectangle w/a door). I've had luck "herding" ducks - just open the "gate" put your arms out, and quack to them as you herd them. You can strategically place items to direct them in. Umbrellas are great herding tools. Be sure to have water and crumbles/corn when they get in there and they won't mind at all (this is how we put our ducks to bed every night). Good luck.

10. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    yeah that is kinda what I so with the stick! It makes my arm wider! As soon as they see me with my stick, they start heading for the door!
    My ducks wings are not clipped.
    I hope they stay, keep giving them treats!
    Brenda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by