catching free range birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KyleD., Feb 15, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    i have 5 game hens loose well they have been for 4 days. i bought them from a guy who let them free range...easy way of catching them?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Wait till they roost at night.
    Imp

3. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    they roost the highest i've ever seen a bird roost. they go from limb to limb about 30 feet up no joke.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I have an old fish net that stands 6 feet and around 16 inches diameter and around 16 inches deep. It works great if you can get them cornered or against a fence so you just have to go left or right!

5. Imp

KyleD. :

they roost the highest i've ever seen a bird roost. they go from limb to limb about 30 feet up no joke.

Someone on here said to knock them off high limbs with a pole. I'm not so sure about that. Cornering them does work. I find I just have to be fearless and grab quickly. Can you feed them in the coop or run then shut the door?
    Imp​

6. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    they refuse to get anywhere near the coop or me. i take a step towards them and they run.

7. Imp

KyleD. :

they refuse to get anywhere near the coop or me. i take a step towards them and they run.

Sounds like you got a job ahead of you. Don't know what else to suggest except a 30' extension ladder and a sack. Can you climb the tree? Get others to help? Maybe if you tag team them you can wear them out.
    Good Luck,
    Imp​

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Feed them corn in a dog crate for a few days, when they get used to eating there, you can catch them in the dog crate.

9. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    clip their wing's when you DO catch them...lol [​IMG]

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My husband trained our hens to come to the sound of him tapping on a plastic carton. Started with tapping on the carton then dispensing mealworms from inside it. Do that a couple times and they will come running. i've never known a chicken to not come running if they think they will be getting some yummy worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by