Catching Guinneas!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by KareyABohr, Apr 13, 2009.

1. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Does anyone have any advice on catching guinnea fowl? We are moving from one house on the farm to another and my brother in law will shoot them if we are not able to catch them and move them. He isn't as excited about them being around.
    The problem is that they roost in a morton building (20 feet in the air) and they are too fast during the day.

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Put some cracked corn in a dog crate. When they go in to eat it, close the crate.

Good luck!

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    When they come down from the roost and try to exit, have a cage to get them into. Or have a very tall ladder and grab them off the roost, in the dark... One by one.

Too bad they dont make mini dart guns for sedating guineas

When you move you will need to keep them locked up for a few weeks, so they wont leave home trying and find the old place.

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Wait until they go into barn to roost. Then block off their exit.. Scare them down off the roost and if it is too dark for them to see they cannot fly back up and should mill around on the ground...
    Use a long handled fish net to catch them. They are very difficult to grab and hold onto and their toe nails can hurt you.
    A net is safer for you and them.....
    I have never been able to catch one outside cause they can run longer and faster than most people can! good luck!

5. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I am going to try the ladder thing and I have a net too.

6. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I would say that the net would be the best bet. also try to corner them then use the net!

Cody!!

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    just be cautious about grabbing them by their legs as you can break their leg very easily..

long net is the way to go..

8. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Quote:The lady I bought my two guineas from had to use a long net to get them. The whole thing was pretty hilarious!

Cody!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by