Catching them darn Quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by swizz37, Oct 4, 2010.

1. swizz37

swizz37 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    It's time to put my 5 oldest quails up for the cold season. I had them roaming around the coop over the summer making a mess of things. Does anyone have a good way to catch them without traumatizing? They'll let me get about a foot to them then bolt or fly to the other side.

[​IMG]

2. warmfuzzyfeeling

warmfuzzyfeeling Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    A big butterfly net or fishing net works for me!

3. warmfuzzyfeeling

warmfuzzyfeeling Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    ...Or, wait until late at night (turn off any lights) and find them with a little flashlight. Sleepy birds usually don't freak out at much when you pick them up.

4. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    I've always used a muskie net.

There were a couple times they flew out of their pen and I was running around the yard in my jammies with this big ole net hollering "Come back Bob....come back" I must of looked like a real dork...

But I caught'em [​IMG]

edited cuz I can't spell worth a doodle

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    All my chickens, quail, ducks are afraid of my big blue net.

I use my granddaughters little pink and green butterfly net. I hold the netting when walking with it, then just drop it on them when I get close enough. Works everytime, so far, but mine are Coturnix.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Badmitten Rackets Work Well... [​IMG]

Actually The Labs Do The Gathering Around Here... Usually Only Takes Once Or Twice And Suddenly The Quail Will Co-operate With Humans Quite Well Once Educated( Either That Or They Really Dislike Dog Spit?) [​IMG]

Now If They Even See 1 Of The Dogs Near The Pen They Will Run Over And Hop Up And Down On Top Of Your Feet Going "pick Me Up! Pick Me Up!"

7. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Quote:I know you lab Guys but you might want to try a GSP sometime...

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Most Gsp While Being Phenomenal Hunters, Have The Tendancy To Be A Tad Agressive With Live Birds--- At Least Ways Any I Have Had The Pleasure To Be Around..... My Female Lab Will Get Agressive If Not Kept In Check, But My Male Is The Softest Mouthed Retriever I Have Ever Found [​IMG]

These 2 Actually Work As A Team Rounding Up Any Escapees I May Have... She Will Hunt/ Find/ Hold &point/ Then Flush On Command While He Gently Plucks Them Out Of The Air And Returns Them To Me With A Resultant "plop" Of A Wet And Very Bewildered Bird Landing On Top Of My Boots. To Date This System Has Worked On Everything From Button Quail Thru Turkeys, Including Almost All Speces Of Gamebirds. You Gotta Like That [​IMG]

9. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I stole my kids Badmitten Rackets and used the nets from my honey baked hams and made my own nets [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Silly me! [​IMG]
    I just build pens that I can reach my arm into, and touch every square inch. No net required.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by