Catching them darn Quails

swizz37

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
It's time to put my 5 oldest quails up for the cold season. I had them roaming around the coop over the summer making a mess of things. Does anyone have a good way to catch them without traumatizing? They'll let me get about a foot to them then bolt or fly to the other side.

...Or, wait until late at night (turn off any lights) and find them with a little flashlight. Sleepy birds usually don't freak out at much when you pick them up.

I've always used a muskie net.

There were a couple times they flew out of their pen and I was running around the yard in my jammies with this big ole net hollering "Come back Bob....come back" I must of looked like a real dork...

But I caught'em
ya.gif

edited cuz I can't spell worth a doodle

Last edited:
All my chickens, quail, ducks are afraid of my big blue net.

I use my granddaughters little pink and green butterfly net. I hold the netting when walking with it, then just drop it on them when I get close enough. Works everytime, so far, but mine are Coturnix.

Badmitten Rackets Work Well...
smile.png

Actually The Labs Do The Gathering Around Here... Usually Only Takes Once Or Twice And Suddenly The Quail Will Co-operate With Humans Quite Well Once Educated( Either That Or They Really Dislike Dog Spit?)
smile.png

Now If They Even See 1 Of The Dogs Near The Pen They Will Run Over And Hop Up And Down On Top Of Your Feet Going "pick Me Up! Pick Me Up!"

Most Gsp While Being Phenomenal Hunters, Have The Tendancy To Be A Tad Agressive With Live Birds--- At Least Ways Any I Have Had The Pleasure To Be Around..... My Female Lab Will Get Agressive If Not Kept In Check, But My Male Is The Softest Mouthed Retriever I Have Ever Found
smile.png

These 2 Actually Work As A Team Rounding Up Any Escapees I May Have... She Will Hunt/ Find/ Hold &point/ Then Flush On Command While He Gently Plucks Them Out Of The Air And Returns Them To Me With A Resultant "plop" Of A Wet And Very Bewildered Bird Landing On Top Of My Boots. To Date This System Has Worked On Everything From Button Quail Thru Turkeys, Including Almost All Speces Of Gamebirds. You Gotta Like That
smile.png

Silly me!
smile.png

I just build pens that I can reach my arm into, and touch every square inch. No net required.

Back
Top Bottom