Category 1 hurricane Fay coming tomorrow, what to do with chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HaileyandJoliesMom, Aug 20, 2008.

1. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Fay is supposed to swing around and slam right into us here in Jacksonville, Fl, unfortunately she is doing this after hitting that warm atlantic ocean and therefore strengthing from a tropical storm to a Category 1 hurricane. We wont be evacuating, though alot of the people I know are, but we will lose power. My chicks are 1 week old today, What will happen if we lose power and I lose my heat lamp??

Now keep in mind that it will be insanely hot around here without the Air conditioner, probably in the 80's, will that be enough?

This is my first order of chicks, and I cant lose them because of some hurricane!!

Also, what do I do about my older chickens?? Should I leave them in the coop, which is very well built, or let them lose? The winds should be 74 to 90 mph, with lots of debris and lots of rain. Will they be safer outside where they can get away from everything, or inside where it will be "somewhat dry"??

2. funky

funky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Winston GA
    Quote:I am not hurricane expert but I live in Ga and also have my first set of chicks .We had a heck of a storm here a few weeks ago and the wind was heavy.I went outside after the storm and my little chic ks were in bad shape .The wind had blown the rain in..I brought them all in and put them under heat lamps and in a few hours they were as good as new ..I have heard chicks can drown easily??!?? Like I said no expert on chickens or storms but I saw bring them in out of the wind and Rain.[​IMG]

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Babies ~ go buy (if you can get out and find some) some of those hand warmers from Winter. Set them randomly on the floor of the brooder (but under something like paper towel or something). That way if they get cold, they can huddle on those. *I* think they'll be fine at 80+ degrees, though.

Outside birds I'd keep contained, personally. Do you have any way to bring them inside? Like large pet taxis or cages? If not, I'd keep them locked in their coop. I think free range and possibly getting hit by flying debris is not a good alternative.

Stay safe [​IMG]

4. HaileyandJoliesMom

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have 1 small cat kennel that I could fit my 9 week old EE baby in, but no one else would fit. [​IMG]

We dont have a garage, and only 1 bathroom so bringing the rest inside isnt possible. Ive covered the coop with tarps and am hoping for the best.

Johnny the Rooster is mad because I wont let them out to free range he has been crowing for hours.

I cant get out right now, I have 2 lil girls (ages 4 and 2) and from past experience every store will be a madhouse right now. People were wrestling over water, food and flashlights when I went to walmart last night about 11pm. It was like the day after thanksgiving, no parking and tons of people!! Its not safe for lil kids to be around that, people go crazy when these storms come through!!! Hubby has the yard cleaned up, and I have tons of water and food. Windows will be boarded up tonight once we get the weather report with a better projection on the storms path.

The joys of living in Florida, [​IMG]

5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Okay, chicks will be okay. If worse comes to worse, make the kiddos snuggle them warm. [​IMG]

6. RASTACHICKI

RASTACHICKI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    Don't worry about your chicks. I took my lamp off my chicks down here in Mobile, AL after the first week and they are doing fine. They are almost 3 weeks old. I am sure the temps in Jacksonville are similar to Mobile-- HOT and HUMID typical of AUGUST. I found myself actually turning the light off the chicks the first week b/c by noon the thermometer was reading over 100 degrees. Even with the light off it was over 90. That storm is nothing more than some thunderstorms with a little wind. It won't be that bad. AFter Katrina everything seems a lot less stressful around here!

7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I'm in Jacksonville too.

If push comes to shove mine are coming into the bathroom in a tupperware container. I have been using one of those mechanic's lights (Hangs on a long chord) over the tub to keep them warm when I have them inside.

What kind of chickens do you have?

8. HaileyandJoliesMom

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Volume904 (my name is Kristy as well. cool huh [​IMG])

Currently we have
    The roo's
    rir/leghorn mix
    and a white Silkie roo who was given to me Sunday

The hens
    Buff orp mix
    Lakenvelder
    EE and
    a barred rock /austrolop mix

The babies, supposed to be all pullets
    3 austrlops
    3 barred rocks
    2 white rocks
    1 RIR
    2 NHR
    5 EE's
    1 blue cochin
    1 speckled sussex

I just got into chickens and may have gone a bit overboard LOL

9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Asher, I don't think they sell hand warmers here! LOL.

10. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    How about a hot water bottle? Fill it with very hot water as soon as the power goes out so it will last longer. At a week old and 80 temps they should be ok anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by