Cateracts in young chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vjbakke, Jun 2, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I have a 10 wk dom that has an eye that looks like it is getting a cateract in. Anyone else have similar eye problems/ vision problems in such a young bird? If she becomes blind in one eye will she bo ok or will we have to put her down. The eye affected doesn't react to light so my thoughts are she may alredy be blind in that eye. Any thoguhts?

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Head trauma can cause this. I have a one eyed roo that lives a perfectly normal life outside with the other birds. [​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    chickens can get genetic cataracts, but they can also get a cataract looking eye from aspergillus.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If the bird had Avian Encephalomelitis, a virsus handed down in the egg as a baby, they can develop cataracts at 3 weeks of age and even later in life.

5. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Can head truma cause a swollen bump? She has one on the top of her head, it looks like it has gone down some. It happend over last weekend. She is eating and drinking fine. The spot on here eye showed up the same time as the bump.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Can head truma cause a swollen bump? She has one on the top of her head, it looks like it has gone down some. It happend over last weekend. She is eating and drinking fine. The spot on here eye showed up the same time as the bump.

You hadn't mentioned the bump in the original post. Head trauma would definately cause a bump. I know trauma can cause cataracts also.....I'm not sure how long the cataract takes to form after the trauma though. [​IMG] I don't think it would be an instant thing. [​IMG]

Edited to say: I just looked it up. The cataract can form immediately after the trauma.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by