Caterpillars toxic?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CKNNWBEE, Oct 5, 2012.

1. CKNNWBEE

CKNNWBEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    My girls are 11 days old. Can they have a caterpillar we found? I can't find anything on this site or by doing Google search.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Some catapillars toxic, some not while other just tast bad. Generally caterpillars that are dull green or brown are tasty. Bright colors, especially yellows and reds mean nasty.

3. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    I apologize, it looks like its a cabbage worm. How about them?

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Good eating.

5. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    Thank you. We gave them 2 worms/caterpillars and one took off with it in her mouth, and the others chased her. She couldn't hide it anywhere, it was the cutest thing! But, when I checked on them they had not eaten it. Just played with it.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Not eating it may indicate it did not taste good.

7. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    It was gone this morning, now there is definately blood in the feces. I was worried about that, but I concluded it was merely the coloration of the shavings. But today, it looked like hamburger. Do you know if Sulmet or Corid is better for bloody feces aka cocci?

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Consumption of a caterpillar should not cause blood in feces. Cocci more likely cause. If cocci you need to get on stick to control it. I assume birds have only recently come into contact with ground for first time, like in last week or so. If cocci into full blown infection, then medicated feed will not be strong enough. A coccidiostat like Sulmet or Corid in water needed. Do not fart around, rapid response needed.

Best to seek help in disease subforum for better direction as you situation is not a caterpillar issue.

9. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    Have the Sulmet. Now for dosage (so bad at math). I put 1/4 tsp in 2 cups or 1/2 qt water.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I use the lower end of that range, especially with birds I suspect are suffering heavy infection. Treatment itself is hard on birds. When I am confident it is cocciodosis, then I also use an antibiotic administered with water. With heaving infections were blood is evident, damage to gut can make so return to pre-sickness weight takes a couple weeks resulting in such birds falling behind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by