Catfish and Flathead Minnows

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RoyalT, Jan 24, 2013.

1. RoyalT

RoyalT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    Anyone stock their pond with these?

I want to expand my Yak's pond to 4 ft deep (max, more shallow on sides for the yaks to walk in/out) and about 1/4 acre surface area, probably 1/8th acre will be 4ft deep in a line down the middle. I read 1500 catfish per surface acre on the deep ponds, so I'm thinking 100 or so. Then a bunch of Flathead minnows for foraging.

Anyone have sage advice?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. ScottnLydia

ScottnLydia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I'm certainly no expert (and not a sage either), but 100 sure seems low for 1/4 acre pond! Based on your own figures of 1500 per acre, I'd say 350 to 375 would be more appropriate.

Of course, I've only looked into them as a 'crop' for aquaponics, not a farm pond. I don't even know what you want to get out of the stocking.

3. RoyalT

Sep 28, 2012
    Well the 1500 is for deep ponds... this will only be a few feet deep, so I don't want to have overpopulation issues before they're big enough to eat... and we don't want to be eating fish every day. Just the occasional treat. Figure we could have a nice fish fry for the neighbors :) Mostly just want the fish to make the pond more useful for us. I'll have to research more...

Thanks for your input, ScottnLydia!

4. ScottnLydia

ScottnLydia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I guess you wouldn'y want the little buggers nibblin' on no yak toes, would ya! [​IMG]

5. RoyalT

Sep 28, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think the yaks would enjoy it too much, and they do like to stand in the pond when it's hot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by