Catfish food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by scooter147, Aug 1, 2008.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have a garden pond with large goldfish and koi. Earlier this year I bought a 50lb bag of catfish food (16.90 for 50lb) to feed the goldfish and koi instead of the normal koi food ($48 for less than 5 lbs).

The problem, I started feeding it and about a week later the goldfish started dying. Most of these goldfish are about 5-6 years old and are quite the little moby dicks, quite large. They were able to swallow the round pellets with no problems. I put two and two together and figured the catfish food was the problem. Maybe it was to big and they could not digest it. I didn't have a single koi die but they are twice the size of the goldfish. I have not had one die since I stopped.

My question, I hate to just throw it away do you think it would hurt the chickens if I feed it to them? I would like to feed it this fall when they start to molt. I usually feed a little dry cat food for the higher protein.

It is 32% protein and the main ingredient is fish meal.

I figure if I feed it a handful at a time the worse thing is I might get a little run poo.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Well thats a lot of protein, and fish meal could give the eggs an off taste, or since its the main ingredient it probably will!

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    There's all sorts of junk in catfish food. I wouldn't give it to anything else. I wouldn't even feed it to fish I cared about as you've already found out.

Stupid censor.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  4. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    You could use it to put in a grub bucket...

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I feed Southern States pond fish food to my peacocks,turkeys,Emu's and chickens. Chickens get about a handful or two in with their chicken food, never hurt anyone, they love it. It's about $11-$14 her for 40-50 lbs. I wouldn't use it as a sole source of food, but as a treat etc. they love it. Also, our feed store sell Mazuie Koi food, 25lbs, I think, for $20. My goldfish love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by