Catfish is such a bad mama! ** Deformed/ injured duckling **

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well I have a cayuga cross hen named catfish - she is the PRETTIEST deep chocolate color.

She has been sitting on a nest of 20 or so eggs and has been doing a pretty good job - until hatch time. The first duckling was out of the nest, running around the Box. That was yesterday. This morning I heard peeping comming from her eggs when i checked under her, so when i got home I checked for babies.

I went in as soon as i got home - No babies? I peeped and peeped to the nest and i knew i heard something. Stronger than an egg peep.
    SO I gently tore a hole in the side of the nest - and there was a duckling! Catfish pushed some eggs out of her nest yesterday so they became the center of her walls . Burying the eggs in hay. I dug in and found him still in a part of the shell - and covered in ants!

I quickly rushed the little weak thing in and got some warm water running in the sink since he was all bloody - the ants have eaten all the skin off his one wing. He is a FIGHTER and continues to try and lift his head up. But I think its deformed. It just doesnt look right . Its as if the bill is on the face crooked. And the bill is all warped looking. I feel so bad for him! His eyes are all swollen from and bites, and his legs arent wanting to work.

But - Im SURE he is a muscovy cross. his legs and feet are HUGE for a day old. As well as he is a pretty big guy for only being a few hours old. He also has a pretty long rear end.

So I finally have a muscovy cross. And he is so ugly he looks like a Dinosaur. His name is Rex and he is my cutie pattudy! He is SUCH a fighter though!

Ill try and get pictures up - but yall know how i am about that [​IMG]

2. alliekrpc

alliekrpc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Mountain, Ontario
    Such a sad story...but I'm sure you'll do a great job at cleaning him up and helping him get better! [​IMG] I would just try to keep him as clean as possible and at a most constant temperature. Keep a close eye on what he is eating and drinking, and how much. If it were me, I would definetly not put him back in the nest with mama...you never know what could happen if he is already injured.
    Hopefully all the rest turn out happy and healthy! And as far as his crooked bill and "deformities"...isn't it always the funny lookin ones that have the biggest personalities? I adopted a horse one time who had his head smashed in a door when he was a foal...his face, as a result was completely crooked and drooped on the left side. But boy oh BOY did he have a personality! I'm sure he will bring you many laughs and lots of joy.
    Good work on saving the little guy! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Maybe she isn't a bad mama. Ducks, chickens geese, and just about any kind of bird has the instinct to "dispose of" those babies with deformities. I am sorry for your disapontment in her. I hope Rex survives! [​IMG] Good luck!

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So lucky that you found little Rex when you did. I really hope he pulls through for you after such a rough start to life. Warmth and some vitamins are the best advice at this stage- If he has the strength he will survive- if not- maybe there was something else internally wrong with him...Either way- at least you know that you are doing everything you can to try to help him.

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well Little rex made it this morning till around 7:47 am [​IMG] He was such a little fighter! I had him in the laundry room with a heat lamp on for him while he was in his little make shift home. last night i tried to wash his eyes a little with warm water since they were stil swollen almost shut. He drank some but then started having a little difficulty swallowing but it passed.

Ive never lost a duckling before Like this. In four years I lost one to a dog and one was squished by mama. This is just s depressing . I buried the little guy in my animal graveyard.

6. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]
    i am so sorry goat walker.
    you did the best you could for him.
    very sorry you lost rex.

beth

7. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I am sorry Rex is gone. I know what it's like to bring a little one in to ry to save it. You get attached to the little fuzzy butt immediately. I don't think your Cayuga is a bad mother though, evidently she knew what she was doing.

But 20 eggs is a lot for a smaller duck. My Muscovies make a hugh nest for sitting 18-20 eggs. Then they make it even bigger and widen the nest to make room for the babys in the center. By the time they are done a nest will be more than 2 foot wide. They do bury ducklings that died and crush the opened shells to make room for the babies. Its survival instinct for them.

How is the rest of the hatch going? Do you think you will have to pull the ducklings from the nest as they hatch and brood them for a few days until the hatch is done? Then she will have more room for them hatching.

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] RIP Rex!

9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    All my other moms always attack me or else just sit there for me to check. She ran away from her nest when i bent down getting ready to reach my hand in. Not very good protective instinct [​IMG]

As far as the other eggs, I thought i had three eggs peeping at me but now everything is silent in the bator [​IMG]

10. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am so sorry. [​IMG] Must be a hard few days. I wouldn't give up on those eggs though, I never heard any peeping when I hatched duck eggs in my bator. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by