Catfood as a supplement?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pet Duck Boy, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Hey all, I heard if you want to fatten a duck up a little. You'd feed high quality cat food, is this correct? I just bought some thinking about my pekin, Sunny. I was also wondering if it could be used as a supplement as well, just to vary the diet a little? The brand I got is called meow mix, comes with 3 flavors. Chicken and liver in gravy, chicken and beef in gravy, and turkey and giblets in gravy....is this safe?

2. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Oh, and it's the wet kind...

3. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    We feed our ducks dry cat food as a treat. They are picky and only like some brands and flavors [​IMG]

based on the flavors, it sounds like you bought some wet cat food. I would double check the ingredients on the back to make sure there isn't any ingredients that aren't good for ducks (onions, too much salt, too much fat, etc).

4. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    hmm, ok I'll check.

5. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Ok, no onions as far as I can tell. There is salt, how much I'm not sure. It says crude fat is 2.0%
    Should I go ahead and feed it to her?

6. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Maybe just give her a little bit instead of the whole can??

What kind of dry cat food do you give your ducks Duck_feeder??

7. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Actually, they come in pretty small plastic cups. I'd say Sunny can finish one off in a couple mouthfuls.

8. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    if she's full grown already and you just want to put some weight on her, something hi carb is better for her than hi protein. I do give my chickens moistened dry catfood occasionally when they need some extra protein (like when they're moulting).

9. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Anyone else have any comments?

10. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I feed the dry Meow Mix as a supplement...you can wet it with water if you want, but wet food always spoils quicker. Bear in mind too that canned wet foods can have small sharp bones in them. My call ducks have no problem swallowing the dry food down, but always be sure to have water for ducks if they have food in front of them.

When I was a wildlife rehabillitator, we used dry cat and dog food as staple bases for our wild animal diets. This was back in the days before all these specialized commercial diets came out. If you read "Animal Inn", a hardcover by Virginia Moe, you will get some idea of some of the things we did; it is written for youngsters as something of a non-fiction story but has tried and true methods in it. I was fortunate enough to work with Virginia while she was in her later years but still very active in animal husbandry. Anyway, the dry foods have the bone meal and meat meal that is hard to come by at a feed mill now, and they are readily available everywhere; they were easy to get at the store and a good substitute when we ran out of some of the more exotic ingredients we got from the zoo and used in combination with them.

My freebie ducks that I got last summer (which started me onto the road of call duck madness) were literally raised on moistened dry dog food. The owner who gave them to me got them as a gift and did not want them, so only had cracked corn that was too large for them. Dry dog food was a lifesaver for these guys, because she had dogs but wasn't going to buy special foods for unwanted ducks! They did very well on it until they came my way and I got them duck pellets to go with dry cat food.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by