catfood...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by alex, Nov 17, 2007.

1. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    I have heard that some people where talking about feeding there chickens catfood....and i just wanted to know whats that for and why you should give your chickens catfood.
    Thanks~

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Usually it is given as a supplement or treat when there are signs of feather picking or lack of protein. There are both pro's and cons to it as catfood does contain stuff that is not the best for chickens, such as lots of salt, but does contain lots of protein which can help with moult.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Is this true with even a small molt, not the 18 month one? My banty isn't feathering out as quickly as I thought. She stopped laying late september or early october. If I feed her cat food, will she start laying again, also, would I be able to eat her eggs (I'm thinking they would taste bad).

Sorry to thread-jack Alex.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, you can eat the eggs, not like the cat food contains any terribly bad stuff for them or you, just the nutritional balance isn't so great.

I actually found that when I put my terrible molter on 20% protein grower, she feathered out real fast and has started to lay again. I personally think that is a better alternative than with cat food IF and that's a big IF you can find starter/grower at this time of year. If not, catfood would work fine. It will take some time to start laying again though since days are shorter.

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i did this the other day and drew a neihbors cat into teh yard. no fatalities, but wont' do it again unless doing it with a penned one.

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    How much should I give her? Dry or Wet? Would it just be free choice like oyster shell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by