cathy only

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cathy only, Mar 1, 2017.

1. cathy only

cathy only Just Hatched

Dec 14, 2015
    I'm not sure how this works, but I have a question. We have been raising chickens for eggs and I'm thinking about getting a couple of ducks. What should I do first?

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hi and welcome to BYC! :)

First of all you need to ask yourself: are you ready for ducks? They are messier (but sooo worth it!) and can in exceptional cases live 15+ years! They will probally need a separate area and coop to your current chickens, so also consider where you will house them.

Your next step would be to choose a breed- do you want them as layers, meat birds, pets, etc?

Here is a great list of breeds (although you don't have Abacot Rangers in the US):
    https://poultrykeeper.com/duck-breeds/

Most people start with ducks by getting them as ducklings either from a hatchery such as Cackle or Metzer Farms or by buying them from their local feedstore. By raising them from ducklings, the ducks will often be a lot tamer than ducks bought as adults. Also consider what gender you would like them to be- if you only want girls it is easiest to buy as sexed females from a hatchery.

Good luck :)

4. mlh328

mlh328 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2016
    Butte, MT
  5. cathy only

cathy only Just Hatched

Dec 14, 2015
    How do i enter the contest for cute chix?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by