Cathy's Chick Hatchery in Elmira Ont. Canada?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Tigertrea, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    Anybody have experience with them? My "local" feed store is supplied by this hatchery.

I also like "different" or "pretty" breeds in just about any animal I deal with but, at this point I am not sure I want to spend money for rarer breeds. My choices from Bonnie's are....White Leghorns (I know, everyday chickens). ISA Brown hybrid, RIR X Columbian, Black sex linked and Plymouth Barred.

Is it OK to mix breeds in one pen. I will just have Hens for now. If we are at it for a few years I'll start looking into roos and breeds I want to "stick" with. This will me my "learning flock" more or less.

the minimum order is 10 (or pay a surcharge). 10 is not undo-able for us for space etc. so I have no issues with ordering 10. I just have no idea what breed(s) I want. I think out of those choices the Barred are my fave to look at though.

HELP??

2. Lucky1

Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I live near there too :) nice to meet a fellow Canadian lol , what feed store do you buy from?? I am thinking on getting my chicks this year from NW Co-Op, buy i dont know when you can start ordering them in :(

3. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I'm just outside of Windsor. I will likely be dealing with TSC or Feed Warehouse in Essex. My dad picked up a paper from Essex Feed. Their first delivery date is April 10th. I have to go out to TSC (or have my dad stop in for me since he is in Essex daily) and get the info from there also.

4. tawana

tawana Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Palmerston ontario
    we bought our girls from " bonnies chick hachery in elmira ontario. they were 2 weeks old when we got them and now they are 10 weeks old and still doing great! we bought 4 rhode island reds and 2 black sex linked . we had them on chick medicated starter till last weekend and now they are on grower feed.

then we decided to try pullets plus, they are also a great place to buy from as well.
    we bought 2 leghorn whites from there and they were 19 weeks old when we got them and were laying already " one egg a day each" we feed them layer pellets"and they are now 26 weeks old and still laying and doing well.:)

we use spectrum feeds " they are in moorefield ontario and their feed is reasonable priced.

5. Pacey Hillson

Pacey Hillson Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    I bought 6 female chicks from there and they all survived and are all female. I'm very impressed with the quality too....they have grown into beautiful birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by