Catmint..(Nepeta), and Lavender

FireGurl26

Chirping
May 4, 2016
U.P. Michigan
I just read up on different kinds of mints being a sort of pest repellent in the coop. I just planted a bunch of Nepeta (purplish/blue flowers) last year. They are awesome in your garden as they attract tons of Butterflies and Hummingbirds. Last year, the plants were covered with small butterflies. It is a perennial as well. All I do is cut back in late fall after flowers are gone. Not to mention, we have 2 cats...and catmint (Nepeta) is like catnip. Just clip a few sprigs off and give to the kitties. They love it!!
So the interesting thing is, since i have so many of these and they are relatively cheap to plant..and looks beautiful...I read that they repell pests..being in the mint family. Now I have 5 things i can use these for. Beauty, Butterflies, Hummingbirds, Cats and now my coop for the chickens. Oh...and deer and rabbits are repelled by the plants so none get eaten!! Hooray!
Also, I have lavender everywhere. Reading up on that as well I may just cut some and put it in the nest boxes to relax the girls time to time.
Just thought I would share this with others. I am sure alot of people already know about these but in case you didn't.
BTW...I use peppermint essential oil spray for a natural bug repellent on myself up here in the woods and it works wonders...stands to reason why mint would work in the coop.

Thanks for sharing! We're looking for natural ways to repel bugs without the nasty stuff, and its great to hear some real life experience of these working. We already have a few lavender plants I plan to arrange near the coop when its finished, but I'll look into getting some Catmint as well.Love the bonus of more attractants for the butterflies and hummingbirds!

Thanks for sharing! We're looking for natural ways to repel bugs without the nasty stuff, and its great to hear some real life experience of these working. We already have a few lavender plants I plan to arrange near the coop when its finished, but I'll look into getting some Catmint as well.Love the bonus of more attractants for the butterflies and hummingbirds!

I think the lavender is really good for relaxing the chickenss, any kind of mint plants are supposed to work for insect repellents naturally. I had no idea that you can use lavender to repell insects as well. I also heard fresh Oregano is very good for the chickens too as a natural antibiotic. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom