Cats AGAIN and my dog is useless!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by furbabymum, Jan 22, 2014.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I had a previous thread about my neighbors cats shut down. Let's not repeat it! I'm not asking for advice on getting rid of them, just venting. Those cats!!!!!!!!! The neighbor who feeds them has several shelters. Their closest neighbor has several shelters. We have several shelters on our property as well. It's been cold here, as with almost everywhere, and when I took the akbash out Saturday morning it was to discover all my birds hiding in a corner and 4 YES 4 cats in the rafters of my barn. Keep in mind I have a garage, shed and huge lean-to that they could have sheltered in. That and all the structures my neighbors have. There they were, in the barn. So I call the akbash over because he's an idiot and doesn't see them. He spots them and is sooooo happy. Tail wagging like crazy super happy to see these cats. The cats are less thrilled to see him and slowly start creeping toward the mouth of the barn, still in the rafters. Seems the dog is frozen though. He's just watching and wagging his tail about. I'm trying to encourage him to at least chase them out so they get some fear in them. Nope. They run out and the dog never moves. Soooooo it would appear the akbash we got to guard the chickens is useless. He's 1 and 1/2 now so you'd think he'd be showing some guarding tendency. Our great pyr goes nuts at the sight of anything on his property. Problem with him is he's more than happy to eat the chickens too. /sigh

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I know the feeling. We have 3 cats & 1 dog. They have 2 dog houses with hay by the house and one full of hay in the old barn (we had blankets but they didst like them any better and they got icky too fast). We also have a open round bale to feed the horses that is tarped and would be a good place to get shelter but nope they hunker down on the cold concrete floor on a piece of card board. Our dog is the same way with our cats even lets them cuddle with him sometimes, but he goes nutty with ones that "don't belong" Maybe your dog thinks that he needs to protect those furry cats too [​IMG] I'm not sure what it is with cats & chickens but they seem to just agree to disagree. Cats get them worked into a "tizzy" and then seem to walk away feeling better about the chaos they left behind. Good Luck with you guardian dogs. Hope they both grow into their roles.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Tell akbash SKITEM BOY!!!

4. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    The great pyr is already 5. He was 3 when we got the chickens and I don't think he's ever accepted them as "his". He has killed more of our chickens than anything else. So that dog is chained now. He's absolutely amazing about guarding the property but we can't let him near the poultry. It's a bummer!

We hired an electrician to fix our barn and when he came out to see what was up he sent me a text pic of him HUGGING our akbash. At this point I think that dog would assist anyone in taking stuff off our property. lol He was hugging the dog OVER THE FENCE! Apparently the guard dog gene has skipped that one.

5. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Funny we only have a corgi so no illusions about him guarding anything but he would definitely show someone how to rob the place :) Atleast you shouldn't have to worry about any dog bite law suits haha

6. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Well thankfully the akbash is just 1 of 3 so anyone wanting to rob us would still have some challenges. :p Waste of money though, that dog.

7. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

This literally works with my dog. If you start chasing or going at what ever the problem is ( cats ) he starts growling then you say skitem and he goes bonkers.lol.

He's no guardian dog though, an ex sheep dog is he.

8. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Well I'll try it but this dog is literally the stupidest we've ever had. That's saying a lot since we had a St Bernard and they aren't exactly known for their smarts.

9. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

10. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    He doesn't. lol He really doesn't. I encouraged him to when they were in the barn and he didn't. We had one streak past us when we walked out of the house one night and he froze up just the same as he did to the ones in the barn. Useless. Utterly useless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by