Cats and adult chickens

Mikeeeeeeeeee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 20, 2007
Wetumpka
All 3 of my cats are just normal sized.
I have 7 chickens that are full grown.
If I decided to free range, what would be the outcome?

The cats look like they THINK they would like to be able to get at the chickens. I think my big BR roo would give them a lesson.

I was told from some very wise people on there that cats don't go after chickens and the chickens would put them in their place if they did. Let us know what happens.

None of the cats that frequent my barns and sheds are the least bit bothered by the chickens. And the chickens don't seem to care about them either. The only problem comes with chicks that look like a tender morsel (and are easier to catch than the mice they're looking for).

I was seriously thinking of getting some cats to keep in my chicken runs. I pull the eggs and hatch them myself, or use broodies in the broodie motel. Baby chicks wouldn't be a problem. Just wonder though about introducing them...

none of my cats bother our chickens in anyway. our neighbor's barn cats come over all the time and are terrified of them!

our indoor cats don't mess with the chicks in the brooders, either. and they aren't covered.

it probably depends on the animal, i am sure. as soon as i would say, "oh, no cats won't bother your chickens!" there will be a thread started on
"MY CAT JUST ATE MY CHICKEN!"
th.gif

my dog, a Treeing Walker Hound, thinks she is everyone's mom. she has to check each chick and 'kiss' it.

All I can say is.....
IMG_0250.jpg

This cat was lucky there was a fence between her and that hen. My hen would've had no problem whoopin up on that cat. We've NEVER had any cats go after our birds, but we have had MANY cats run from our birds. I just got to lookin at that pic....doesn't it look like the hen is thinkin, "Just try it!"!
lau.gif

Last edited:
We have 2 cats and have never had a problem with the chickens. I really thought we might when we firsts moved to the new house (it came with about 40 chickens) but, my city cats haven't had any problems.

I have a cat that is a serious mouser, birder, whatever, brings us something new everyday, and she has absolutely no interest in the chickens. In fact just the other day I looked out to see the banty rooster half her size chase her across the yard. Oh, and another night, i went out to the barn and the cat and the banty were both asleep on the floor.

My neighbors have 8 semi-feral cats who are very tough, but they don't mess with my chickens. However, they like to lay around and watch the hens. One of the cats "Aunty Fraidy" sleeps in one of the nest boxes during the day. A couple of weeks ago, I opened the nest box flap and found her in there. I scooted her out and realized she'd been sitting on 3 eggs. Can a cat go broody? haha

Our cats spends the day with the chickens. He has never hurt one, but he likes to tease them. He will flick his tail as they walk by, and they run screaming. Most of them are bigger than he is, but I worry that when they get to laying age, he will stress them. So, we got a rooster, just to keep him out. So far, so good.

One of our dogs did kill a Red when she got out of the pen. I think he was playing, but dead she was anyway.

Back
Top Bottom