Cats and Christmas Trees

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LindsayB, Nov 22, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Our cat Milo is just over one year old and is into EVERYTHING. I swear he thinks he's still tiny and can fit into anything! But he weighs around 15 lbs now....Last year he was just 3 months old when christmas time came around and he was crazy about climbing our tree. We thought it was pretty funny, he didn't really do any damage. Now that he's a big boy I'm alittle scared of our tree falling over. Does anyone else have problems with their cats going into the christmas trees??

heres a pic when he was a baby in the tree! LOL Lets just hope he doesn't try it this year!!
    [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    aw! lol maybe you need to get a sturdier tree for the now 15lb Milo! [​IMG]

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Haven't tried it but a friend told me that cats hate cinnamon. So they sprinkle their tree and the carpet around the tree with cinnamon.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I have some cinnamon room spray [​IMG] maybe I can spray the whole tree with it. lol

5. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    saw this on the random picts thread (hope it's ok that I re-posted it)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't have the pictures on this computer, but...

When I had several tree climbing cats in the house I took a tip from my sister. I bought a small artificial tree, cut it down the center of the pole and hung it on the wall.

7. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    My cat, Todd used to do the same thing when he was a kitten. Between him and my little
    brother, our poor tree was about as ugly as it could get [​IMG] Hoping this year he won't
    be a tree climbing cat, because he's about 25 pounds now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  8. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Both of my cats did it. Every year to. We have a good sterdy hook screwed into the ceiling that is up year round where were put our tree and when we do get our tree we take the green metal wire and wrap it at the top of the tree about 2ft into it and then connect it to the hook. It has always worked. Tree would wobble a little and might lose some water out of it but it never fell!

9. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    [​IMG] I've been trundling merrily along toward the holidays, completely oblivious to the fact that this year we have a kitten. It's been a few years and I forgot how much trouble they can be with trees! Thanks for the reminder...I think.... [​IMG]

Milo is adorable, by the way!

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I used to put eye hooks in the wall and tie the tree to the wall with fishing line. Now I just use a tiny tree. Less mess and they can't climb it. They do still knock the ornaments off, but what can you do? I retrieve Christmas balls out from under things all year and toss them in a box. It's cheaper than cat toys and clearly more fun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by