Cats and Dogs and Fowl as friends (share your pics)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by White Elk, Jul 11, 2008.

1. White Elk

White Elk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Pacific Northwest USA
    I think it's so cool how Cats and Dogs who still have strong predatory instincts and hunt mice and squirells and such will befriend and protect our flocks. Even my Aunts dog who is here to visit for a time just naturally accepted our birds as family. I wanted to share some pics and would like to see other folks pics...

Our ducks follow Autumn around more than they follow me.
    [​IMG]

Autumn was laying down and the ducks layed down about two feet away. They stayed
    there together till I got down to take the pic and Autumn came to me to rub noses.
    [​IMG]

Autumn, Penny, and Wookie.
    [​IMG]

2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    That is so cute. I have an Autumn too and a Penny but they are chicks. [​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

3. draftiemama

draftiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    Floyd the turkey thinks he's a dog.

All my dogs. cats, chickens, peacocks get along. I have no clue how that happened, I 'm just lucky I guess.

On the other hand......my little quarter horse has visions of grandeur and thinks he's a peacock cutting horse.
    [​IMG]

4. ChickenGirl95

ChickenGirl95 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    New York
    Wow I love all of your pictures! It is amazing how some animals get along so well and others want to kill each other!

5. White Elk

Jun 19, 2008
    Pacific Northwest USA
    I agree ChickenGirl! And it's seems to be an inherint trait they have, which helps them understand the concept of a mixed species tribe. My Aunts dog Charms, (Wookies sister) is visiting, and she knew right away that the Ducks and Chickens and Cat are all family.

[​IMG]

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    My German Shepherd, Foenix, with a homeless hen that used to hang out at our house. She's now living with a neighbor nearby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. White Elk

Jun 19, 2008
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Spot (Bard Rock hen) walks right up to Autumn and gazes directly into her eyes.
    This time the distance from nose to beak closed to just a couple inches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Here's the most recent (yesterday) Brooklyn our APBT with Bridgette

[​IMG]

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    This is the Artful Dodger joining the girls for dinner. He's one of the coop kitties.
    [​IMG]

How cute is he?!
    [​IMG]

Fagin is his brother. He's the other coop kitty.
    [​IMG]

As you can tell, he is very disturbed by the chickens...
    [​IMG]

It took about three days for the kittens and chickens to learn to co-exist. They are perfectly fine now (mainly because the chickens are prone to give a good, swift pop to the kitty heads when they act up!)

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Izzy is a notorious hunter. I made sure the chicks were well grown before they went outside. Her first introduction to chickens was carefully controlled by the roosers. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She was impressed enough by the roosters that she wasn't tempted to mess with the chicks.

[​IMG]

But I have a feeling she's plotting something...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by