Cats and Worm Medication

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kuntrygirl, Aug 30, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Is there anything that I can get at Walmart or any other store that I can use to rid my cats of worms?

2. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    What kind of worms?
    They do have medicine for cats, one for tape worms and one for round worms. I get dewormer at our feed store for the dogs and cats.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I have used Safe Guard for SMALL dogs very effectively on my cats for three ears and it kills all kinds of worms,,,,,,,,,,,tape, round, etc.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I don't know what kind of worms. The worms look like rice. What would that be?

5. melodylee

melodylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    like seasame seeds? I'd say tapeworms

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I have used Safe Guard for SMALL dogs very effectively on my cats for three ears and it kills all kinds of worms,,,,,,,,,,,tape, round, etc.

Thank you for the information. I will get some of that and use it on them. I have a lot of stray cats around my house and I need to get rid of their worms because my chickens are eating the cat poo. Just found out the chickens have worms and I think the infested cat poo is contributing to the chicken worms. I want all worms to be gone!!! This is so gross. [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Looks like rice.

8. melodylee

melodylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    yep what people say it looks like goes between the two it's a little harder to find meds for tapeworms at least it is in my area...

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

For tape worms, you'll probably want to look for praziquantel. It's OTC, and works great. I'm not sure if walmart will sell it. I get mine from the feedstore. On-line it is much cheaper. 8 doses on-line are the same price as 3 doses in the store.

Imp-So glad to be rid of tape worms (in the cats) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by