Cats are driving me crazy!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by builderjoy, Feb 6, 2016.

1. builderjoy

builderjoy New Egg

Feb 4, 2016
    I believe the cats stalking my chickens are feral. What can I do to keep them away from my coop??? Any help appreciated. Also, I just joined the group. So excited to be part of a chicken community!!!!!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I'm not too sure what you can do, apart from using a catapult or something slightly more terminal. My chickens mob and chase away feral cats where i live, but thats just my situation. Maybe search for "deterring cats" in the search box and see if there are some pearls of wisdom.

All the best
    CT

3. builderjoy

builderjoy New Egg

Feb 4, 2016
    Thank you for your reply. I hope the chicken will protect themselves, I watch them almost all day so I can run the cats off.

Joy

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Welcome to the forum! You could call Animal Control for your county. But if not, at least the cats might keep the mice and rats away. Some communities have feral cat rescues that will trap and neuter the cats and rerelease them. You might want to check into them. Good luck!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Sorry about the cat issue. How old are your chickens, are they full sized or bantam. When grown and full sized breeds, cats are not likely a real threat. But young and small ones are a different issue.

If they are a threat make sure you flock are confined when they are alone.

Good luck with all, enjoy the forums.

7. builderjoy

builderjoy New Egg

Feb 4, 2016
    We got the chickens in Nov. of 2015. They were only 2 weeks old when we got them. I think they are mutts, 2 are white, 1 is white with caramel color on the her feathers, 1 is grey and black and the other is brown and black. They look nothing like the chickens I have seen pictures of.

How old are they typically when they get their little combs and google things?

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Joy

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    They are still young's, so do protect them from those cats.
    They sound precious, I love mutts - most of us are mutts as well :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you free range they are sitting ducks. If you have a coop and attached run for them you could put some electrified fencing around the perimeter. I think one zotz from the fence and cats will look elsewhere for a free meal. Whether they get spayed and neutered makes no different in their desire to eat your chickens. Sure they can find plenty of rodents to eat but, young chickens are much easier to catch and taste better- I'm sure.

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Set traps and remove them. They breed like rabbits and they are only going to get worse. Good luck with your girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by