Cats changed (gradually) to daily feedings, scarfing food

BlazeJester

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Midway, GA
My 6-month old indoor male "kittens" (I hesitate to call 8-9lb cats "kittens") have been switched from a continuous-fed dry food to twice-daily wet or raw. The raw feeding was always part of the plan, so it makes sense to transition, especially since they're now gigantic and one is gaining the post-neuter pudge. The other cat in the household had also gotten FAT from having constant food supply and competition, so constant food source is no longer an option.

Both kittens scarf down their food so quickly I barely have time to put it in the bowl. I haven't observed vomiting yet but that seems inevitable at some point - they regularly get the hiccups. I've read that putting objects in the bowl as an obstacle helps, but they're getting either pate wet food or chunks of raw meat at mealtime and I haven't figured out what could possibly slow that down without making a huge mess.

Each of the younger cats is getting close to 9oz of food each day (by 1yr they will be down to 5oz) but they are holy terrors in the morning and evenings when it's "food time". Is there any way to change this behavior so they take longer to eat? I know the raw feeding will work itself out as they start getting bones and larger chunks, but we're not there yet.

That's great that they are so enthusiastic! Yes, sometimes they do that to start, but they tend to slow down. Maybe tryu three fedings so they aren't so hungry at food time? Also, you can give it to them frozen/semifrozen so they have to lick at it. They may be ready to go to bigger stuff by the sounds of it. Give em a chicken leg and see what they do!

Great idea, thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of that, I spend 20 minutes defrosting every time...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom