cats having worms

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by seedcorn, Jan 20, 2009.

1. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Outside cats, sure they have worms. So, what home remedies does anyone have? Yes, I'm going on line to see what poisons I can buy to kill them.......but I'm not against trying some logical home remedies.

Fire away.......excuse me..inform away. [​IMG]

2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I don't know about home remedies, I'd use Profender from the vet. Liquid, goes on back of neck just like Frontling. Easy.

3. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Make sure you know what type of worms they are because certain meds kill certain worms. Of course my cat always gets tapeworms which are the most expensive meds...Pain in the but cat...but I love her!!

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Pumpkin will get rid of some of them, but probably not all. I found this out accidentally. I read that pumpkin helps a cat cough up hairballs, so I gave some to my cat and then I found worms in her poo the next day. I had forgotten that pumpkin is a natural wormer.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If you are seeing small, rice-size pieces in the cat's stool, they are tapeworms. They require Cestex, from a vet. Needs 2 pills- give one then give the other in 10-14 days, and not terribly expensive. Some OTC meds are useful, but not in this case.

If the cat is vomiting worms, they are most likely roundworms, and once again require the stuff from the vet- not OTC.

The meds are not nearly as expensive as the vet office visit!

*qualified info- several years in vet clinics and 50+ years as a cat slave and rescuer*

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  6. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Petsmart also sells a pill for tape worms that is very effective. It comes in a white and blue bottle and costs about $20.00 for 4 pills. It works for my cat.

7. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    If you use the liquid stuff goes on the back of their necks. Make sure it pass the fur to the skin. This is the best one to use. It will killl all parasite in and out. And it lasts a month and do it again in a month time. It is easier than pills . No worries. If she has more than one parasited. It will get all of them. So you dont have to worry which type of worm she has or any flies ect. It goes by weight of your cat.

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I buy the wormer pills from Drs Foster & smith online. Saves me a trip to the vet.

I worm mine twice a year, unless i notice worms earlier than that. Barn cats are going to get worms, unless they are on a preventive

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

There are no home remedies for cats. (If somebody says garlic, dont use it. Garlic will kill cats)

I buy my wormers from Pets Megastore in Australia. The pills are less than half the cost of the vets, and 1 pill lasts for 3 months.

Here are the pills I use. http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/index.php?cPath=2_15_204

tablet does 2 cats. Just snap it in half. I buy the 10 pills, and it gives me 20 wormers.

1 pill is $1.88 compared to the $6.00 pill at the vets.

10. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I'd take a stool specimen to the vet to find out what ou're dealing with before initiating treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by