Cats Vs Chicks = harmful?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Will my cats harm my chicks? either as chicks or grown chickens???? another probelm. We get chicken from a medinite and when we prepare it, we have to pull out the insides, and we give these to our cats. will the cats know where these yummy things come from?[​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Definitely keep the cats away from the chicks. Most cats will stay away from grown chickens but some didn't get the memo so you will need to keep a careful watch out to be sure. I wouldn't think they would know where to go looking for more of the yummy stuff so I wouldn't worry about that.

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    x2
    All cats should be kept away from your young chicks. Just think, if a cat can catch and kill a chipmunk or
    squirrel (My cat does - all the time) they can definitely catch and kill a defenseless chick. Some cats have
    been known to kill adult chickens, as well. Not only is it a worry that the cat will catch and kill your chicks,
    but the bacteria in a cat's mouth/claws will easily set up infection if the chick is even slightly scratched
    or nipped. Either way, keep an eye out and keep the chicks in a room that kitty can be locked out of.
    Welcome to BYC, by the way!

Sorry for the late edit! had to add in some stuff! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    ok, will do! i got the bigger breeds, so i hope the cats will be afraid of the big birds. (one of my cats is afraid of KITTENS. [​IMG])

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:My cat stalks our birds all day [​IMG] I think he knows that his face would be re-arranged if he went to far with them.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I think that I would keep a cat away from the little chicks, I have alot of stray cats around and they do not mess with the big chickens at all. In fact the One Huge cat that I actually own is scared of the chickens with good cause! My chickens don't have a problem with eating the cat food, Even when hes eating at the time, they just peck him til he leaves it for them. (I have been know to stand outside with him and keep the chickens at bay so the poor boy can get something to eat too. [​IMG]

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    haha i'm building the coop in the barn, with a straight path to the door, so they can't bother the cats....or rabbits....

8. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Years ago, my son left the door open to the one day old chicks. My cat ate nine of the ten. It was a bad day at my house. He never bothered with the full grown ones.

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Oh dear that would be bad!!!!!! that is why we're keepign the chicks in the garage. the cats are well-trained to NOT go in there. (Or SPLASH! we dump a little water on them. Not mean. just training. don't want them run over by cars!)

10. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I have 3 cats. 2 of them stalk the chickens when they free range. The other cat stalks them but she is all up around them when I feed the chickens. I think she is trying to make friends and then she is gonna try to get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by