Cats vs chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trackfodder, Aug 23, 2010.

1. trackfodder

trackfodder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    My little RIR pullet is sitting on about 11 eggs behind the holly bushes next to the house. Assuming some hatch, will my cats leave the chicks alone like they do the chickens? Will the mother hen protect them? Do I need to gather them up in a box with starter feed and water or let the hen tend to them? We didn't know squat about raising OUR firstborn either

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It depends on the cat. If it has hunting instincts at all, it will probably make at least one try for the chicks. Mom may or may not protect them successfully from the cat or other predators, or the other chickens. If you absolutely do not want to lose the chicks, your best chance is to take them and put them in a brooder. But you'll never know how good a mom your hen is then...so you could leave them with her, but be prepared to possibly lose some or all of them if she's roaming loose. If you have a big cage or a pen you can put mom and chicks in alone, where they are safe, that would be best overall in my opinion.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Buy a super soaker or unwind your hose. Watch the cat for the first day or two if you can and if it goes for the chicks, soak it. Our cats haven't looked twice at chicks after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by