cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AZchickenchick, Nov 22, 2008.

1. AZchickenchick

AZchickenchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Hi everybody - I'll bet this question has been asked before - can a cat kill a chicken? I have a RIR, Barred Rock , and Aracuana. They are only a few weeks old so I am being very careful, but when they are full grown can they fight off a cat?

2. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    A cat can kill a chicken. Easily if its the right cat. Who's cat are you worried about? We raised 20 chicks in the house with our three cats. They learned very quickly they were allowed to look, but not touch. Then when we added a rooster, he taught the cats to really keep thier distance. They all get along, but that's cause my cats are understood.

Don't over tempt your Kitties, and don't trust your neighbors Kitties. They are after all Cats!

[​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I know many BYC'ers have cats that they let be around their chickens without any problems, but I'm not one of them.
    I have a formally feral barn cat with a strong prey drive and she's proven time and time again that if she gets the chance I'm going to have some dead chickens. Even if she can't manage to kill one, most of my chickens outweigh her by several pounds, she has the ability to do serious injury and to me it's not worth it. Cat's claws are harbor tons of bacteria, so it would only take one swipe.
    Just my 2 cents.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My daughter had a cat when she was living with us but the cat stayed in mainly. Once in awhile it would get out but never bothered the chickens, but it was a small cat, runt of it's litter.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have 3 cats right now and that is my main concern with getting ducks. The 2 older females I am not too worried about. One is 19 and the other is fat and lazy. The issue is Zeus...he is a male, and only a year old. More energy than brains. He is VERY playful and will pounce on anything that moves.

The only good point is he is small for a male and young enough to learn.

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I have a ton of outdoor cats and a ton of chickens. All get along. Since the cats are spayed and neutered, they won't allow other strays in the yard.......no reason to.

I was worried at first, but it all worked out.

Mary

7. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My potential problem child
    [​IMG]

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    What a cute lil' problem you have there, LOL. Careful......the chickens might get him!!

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    He is a cute little thing. Hard to type with him climbing all over the keyboard though!

10. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

All my cats are differnt some ponce almost on them ( they fly away and are not hurt) , some watch and follow me around, and my best hunter Blue Eyes knows that any thing that is mine can not be touched, I have tested her with hamsters right infront of her nose and she looks at me like "I now that if I touch that I'm died." So it varys cat to cat and you just have to see what yours do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by