Cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lukewride, Sep 7, 2009.

1. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    Am i right in saying that domestic cats are very rarely considered predators for Bantams.

Its just, a few months ago i asked a similar question on here and i was told cats should pose no threat especially since i have 2 ducks and a cockerel but i've got a very playfull kitten that insists on stalking them every spare moment he has.

I'm probably pointlessly worrying about it but can anyone help keep my mind at rest??

cheers

2. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    We have about 15 cats outside(all spayed/neutered) and have never had one attack our chickens. We have some small ones out there too. They are out in the sheds, and coops. I would never trust them around chicks.....ever. I have heard some people on here say that they've had cats attack their chickens. That has just not been our experience. A kitten will be a kitten though and may consider them toys.

3. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    I have kittens that are a few weeks older than my chicks (April) and they stalk my chickens but then turn tail and run. They go out with me in the morning and evening and run all over and play around the chickens go in and out of the coops and even up on the roof. No problems yet but the roos keep their eye on them. Their mom and 2 other males are around and I haven't had a problem so far with them either and I had expected something out of them

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Neuter him and he'll be calmer. He's probably just playing and will learn they belong. Also, one good flogging will do it too:

When my cat was younger (a spayed female), she wanted to take an interest in chicks. I just took her and threw her over in the pen with a big hen & her chicks, and my cat never showed anymore interest in chicks.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My two cats "stalk" my chickens pretty often. The chickens aren't in any danger if they're smart enough to turn around and peck the cat, but I have a couple of dumb ones that just flap and run and the cats know which ones they are. Even so, no one has been hurt. My rooster will take care of it if any of his hens start screaming.

I'm not sure if it's because chickens are scary, or because I have my own cats so my yard is off limits territory, of if it's because of my dog, but there are a bunch of other cats in the neighborhood and I've never ever seen any one else's cat even looking at my chickens.

6. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    I'd say yes and no.
    One cat we have "adopted" as an outdoor cat doesn't seem to notice the chickens at all. Another cat that belongs to a neighbor seems obsessed with stalking them and watches them intently. I think the second cat would very much like a chicken dinner... Maybe a question of personality not just species? [​IMG]
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by