Cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Arizona Raider, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Arizona Raider

Arizona Raider Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    So we have two chicken coops one with the babies and one with the full grown chickens. people around us have cats and lots of them they have tried to get into the coop and one succeeded but our rooster thought him a lesson but the cat still comes back. any ideas how to keep them out??[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Hmmmm. I actually work for our local SPCA, and am a huge cat lover as well as chicken lover!

The best piece of advice would be to turn your coops into Fort Knox. Don't use chicken wire, opt for the more durable (but a bit more pricey option) hardware cloth. Put this hardware cloth over the windows as well, so it acts like a screen. Be sure there is a roof to their run as well.

Do you know when the cats usually come around? You could set up sprinklers in the area at those times. One thing I've learned about free-roaming cats is that killing them is NOT the answer! When they're taking out of the environment, it acts like a vacuum, and more cats come it to take the vacant spots throughout the community.

See if the cats are fixed. If they're not fixed maybe educate the owner on the importance of fixing their cats, and how it would (majority of the time) reduce the wondering/roaming from home. This is b/c their hormones won't be driving them to find a mate, and "Oooh look! A chicken!"

I wish you the best!

3. deserthens

deserthens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Tucson, Arizona
    The only thing that has kept out the cats in my area was been chain link fencing on the sides and wire fencing on top of the enclosure. Then I enclosed it with bird netting. Otherwise the babies could slip thru/or get pulled thru the chain link. We lost 3 hens to cats a couple years ago, the cat tore the chicken wire right off the 2 by 4's! You could also try using a live trap to capture the offender. Then scare the cat enough so it will not want to return to your yard again. Are you sure the cats are the neighbors? We also have feral cats in the area.

4. MeadowBrookFarm

MeadowBrookFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    We have cats and chickens, so we've had to learn by experience. The only thing that's worked well for us was an electric fence around the coop. Now, the cat still crawls up to 1 foot from the fence and salivates after the chickens, but he doesn't go any closer for he knows he'll get zapped.

5. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Hot wire...cheap and does the job keeping cats and other predators away. Run it about 6" from the ground and make sure you get a pulsating box. They run about $25.

6. Arizona Raider

Jun 25, 2011
    Thank you everyone. and no the cats arent fixed. but thank u for all the great ideas. we have also been letting the dog out.

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My chickens have been outside their coop/pen just the past week for a couple hours each day. Our cat immediately started stalking them and jumping at them. So I got some gravel and each time the cat started slinking close to the chickens, I threw a piece of gravel toward him - NOT to hit him but to land near him. Each time he turned and ran off. Today when I let the chickens out, he never came near them.

I'm also going to buy one of those water pistols - the water cannon kind. Then if the cat comes close to the chickens, I'll spray him. I like that better than throwing gravel in his direction. I just haven't had a chance to get to the store to buy one yet.

8. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    I once i was trying to catch a rabbit with a live trap the next morning my mom woke me up saying that i cought something then i ran outside and looked and there was my cat in the trap eat peanut buttter on some bread LOL

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm not a cat fan, but I am involved in animal rescue and wouldn't hurt any animal. However, I completely understand your frustration. I don't believe in cats roaming free. I believe if you have a pet, it should be in your home. I've never been a fan of cats out loose (with the exception of a farm), especially here in the mountains with our plethora of coyotes. We have a cat stalking our baby chicks too and I'm interested to hear in others responses. I don't think electric wire would work for us.

10. Arizona Raider

Jun 25, 2011
    Thank u everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by