Cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dtornado, Dec 5, 2013.

1. dtornado

dtornado New Egg

Dec 5, 2013
    We have a kitten that stay in the coop with our chickens all day long. She the kitten will set up on top of the water container looking around like she is watching over the chickens. I never knew that or even thought that a cat would hurt a chicken!

2. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Has she hurt them?

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Are these adult large fowl chickens? If so, they'll be fine. A kitten won't take one of them on. When our cat was about 4 months old, he was out "stalking" the chickens one day. Until the hen he was eyeing turned around and challenged him. He turned tail and ran! It was pretty funny to watch. Now he just goes out and hangs out with them when he gets a chance.

4. dtornado

dtornado New Egg

Dec 5, 2013
    On no the kitten hasn't hurt them at all. I was reading about predators and seen that one of them were cats! Wow I would have never thought that a cat would hurt a chicken!

5. dtornado

dtornado New Egg

Dec 5, 2013

Thank you Makes me fell alot better about the cats.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Cats can be a threat to chicks, but generally not to adult large fowl. I have several barn cats - semi-wild - that hang around my chickens. While I trust them with the adults, I do not trust them at all with baby chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by