Cattail fluff question- flooring and/or nest boxes.

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have several large ponds and cattails are extra plentiful on my property. There are many uses for cattail and just about all of it is edible and safe for humans and water fowl. The fluff is soft and a good insulator if ever needed in survival situations. This got me curious about using it in nest boxes and mixed in with deep dry pine shaving bedding during winter. Has anyone heard of using Cattail seed heads that have already expanded in this way? :confused:

I bought a nesting material on Amazon always just used white shavings rats stole the nesting stuff for their nest

I bought a nesting material on Amazon always just used white shavings rats stole the nesting stuff for their nest
Hmm. Interesting thought about the rodents.
If it gets wet, does it stay wet or does it allow moisture to go into the air?
If it stays wet, then you should probably avoid it, but otherwise, go for it!
Good question. I will pull some fluff this coming weekend and test its durability. I imagine it will have similar qualities to raw cotton. It's been raining quite a bit here so should be a good time to strap on the muck boots and collect some data. I'm also going to check out the insect population that may be lurking in it just out of curiosity. I'll update in about a week as I'm out of town for work atm.

Never heard of doing it but can't think of a reason not to try it.

I generally believe that a mix of materials and textures makes better bedding than any one material alone.
My thoughts, too. I will do some experiments with it and update as I go along. 😊

Good question. I will pull some fluff this coming weekend and test its durability.
It's probably ok if it breaks down some, but if it traps moisture, it should be a no-go because if bedding stays wet, then it can get moldy.
I imagine it will have similar qualities to raw cotton. It's been raining quite a bit here so should be a good time to strap on the muck boots and collect some data. I'm also going to check out the insect population that may be lurking in it just out of curiosity. I'll update in about a week as I'm out of town for work atm.
Great! I'm interested to see what happens.

Good question. I will pull some fluff this coming weekend and test its durability. I imagine it will have similar qualities to raw cotton. It's been raining quite a bit here so should be a good time to strap on the muck boots and collect some data. I'm also going to check out the insect population that may be lurking in it just out of curiosity. I'll update in about a week as I'm out of town for work atm.
Just thinking out loud...I will ask my vet, too if there is any real risk of harm if the fluff is eaten; does it swell, pose danger of choking, intestinal blockage, worms etc.
Thanks, everyone. 😊

I see a lot less cattails now than years ago. Partly because invasive purple loosestrife is crowding it out. So, a reason to not use it much would be to leave enough for it to reseed itself, keep its bed happy, and do whatever it does in its natural nitch. This may not be an issue everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom