Caught a baby possum....could Mom still be around????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by peachesdeese, Nov 12, 2009.

1. peachesdeese

peachesdeese Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    For the first time last night I heard my chickens sounding off. Calls I won't forget. They had never made any noise at night before. When I went to check there was a little possum in a doghouse (transformed to a chicken house) with a dead teenage chicken and a live chicken! I had to catch it....I couldn't shoot it because of where it was at. (That was fun doing ALONE!) But...its dead now...the turd! It was my fault it got in. I was late shutting the kennel doors to there area. [​IMG]
    Anyways, I don't know much about possums. We have killed a few adult ones over the past few years eating the outside cat's food. I haven't ever seen a small one around here. Do you think I need to worry about others coming around now? How long do babies stay near their mommas??

Its body was about the size of a softball....not counting its head. Just for reference!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    As long as there is food outside, there will be more possums
    A couple of weeks ago I had a fox on the porch eating cat food.
    Unfortunately (for the fox) she showed up again when I was outside.
    She's now sleeping in my freezer until I get a chance to skin her

3. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Rarely is there only one. Watch for it's brothers, sisters & parents. We had two teenagers a couple of months ago. Killed one because I couldn't get to it and caught the other. Relocated it across the river. Be careful, they have razor shape teeth and will use them.

rocmoc n AZ

4. peachesdeese

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    Yeah... I saw those teeth! Still gives me the creeps! I made sure to close all the doors tonight!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  5. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Oh yes....where there is one, there is more...Mom, Dad, Uncle, Aunt and many, many brothers and sisters. You will have to be vigilant. We live trapped every single night for almost a month. We caught too many racoons and opossums to count. Then one night, we caught nothing, and haven't caught anything for quite a while. We have thinned them out for now. Emphasis on the now. We are going to start setting the trap again next week. Keep up the good fight.

6. peachesdeese

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    Ughhh. I hope I don't have anymore problems! But, the traps aren't a bad idea. Last night went fine but.....better safe than sorry I guess!

7. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Went to let out my chickens this morning and my dog killed a baby possum overnight! I think I'll keep the chickens in the run this weekend instead of letting them free range!

8. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    There are more around. I shot a young baby in my chicken house a few weeks ago that apparently has walked in during the day and since then have shot 3 more! Am sure they are part of one family...am hoping only ONE family.

Actually I was waiting for this "crazy" wild skunk and everytime I opened the door another possum was there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by