Caught a domesticated ferret killing

Pics

mlmanjoney

Songster
Apr 1, 2020
I am so sick guys. Caught a domesticated ferret that killed all my chickens. Saved one. Now I am being told that a ferret wouldn't do that and it had to have been a racoon or a weasel. What are the odds of me catching a ferret moments after finding my 6 juvenile pullets dead by a single bite.

Kids and I are devastated. My coop is predator proof but I guess my run has some gaps in the hardware cloth. Trying to find the ferrets owner even though I want to let my dog have it.

Ferrets are carnivorous and very much like weasels, so to me it’s not surprising that one might go after chickens given the chance. I’m so sorry that it went after your birds and you lost so many. I know you’re upset, but it might be easiest to see if an animal shelter in your area will take it, especially if it was someone’s pet.

I'm so sorry!
It's a weasel, and acting like weasels do. And I agree, but send it to Animal Control instead, or shoot it. I hope you aren't handling it, and didn't get it's fresh saliva on any of you from handling your dead birds. If yes, Animal Control, and have it tested for rabies, because it's the safest thing to do any time you have such contact, with a critter who's likely not vaccinated.
Most of learn the hard way that our chickens aren't protected well enough, and it's awful!
Do upgrade everything, and don't give up on having chickens!
Mary

I would eliminate it. If you have a game camera put it up and if it was another predator, it will probably come back then the Ferret will be off the hook. When I had my dogs and they killed another person's birds and the person killed the dog, I would be sad but I feel the same way.

I am so sick guys. Caught a domesticated ferret that killed all my chickens. Saved one. Now I am being told that a ferret wouldn't do that and it had to have been a racoon or a weasel. What are the odds of me catching a ferret moments after finding my 6 juvenile pullets dead by a single bite.

Kids and I are devastated. My coop is predator proof but I guess my run has some gaps in the hardware cloth. Trying to find the ferrets owner even though I want to let my dog have it.
Let animal control take it. it's an unfortunate incident. When we had chikens and somebody's dogs came and killed half of them, we didn't shoot the dogs and called animal control. Those same dogs never came back, and their owner reclaimed them. Things happen, but two wrongs don't make a right. Now if the ferret was still actively attacking I would shoot it to prevent it from killing the rest of my flock, but it's not. And that is something a ferret can and will do, it's a predator. Make your coop more-predator proof, and learn from the experiance, it's hard, but you shouldn't give up on chickens entirely, tragedy strikes, but don't let it keep you down forever and ruin you, get back up. Maybe get an alarm system, or maybe a dog that will protect your chickens, (make sure it's the righ breed and gets along with chickens before you get one, but that helps scare away predators)

Back
Top Bottom