Caught a gopher... give it to the girls?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AlbionWood, Jul 1, 2010.

1. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Caught a gopher this evening:celebrate, just after the flock went to bed. It'll be cool, in the 40s tonight. Can I give it to them tomorrow morning and see what they make of it? They are about 7 weeks old, have been ranging around a large yard for a couple weeks. If it's a risk I'll let the vultures have it - there are plenty of gophers for later...

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    High 40's or low 40's? If you are in to the low 40's it will be fine for your chicks in the morning. I am a little concerned about give chicks that young a rodent. Rodents often carry diseases and things like worms.

3. AlbionWood

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Don't want 'em to get worms yet... I'll toss the carcass to the ravens, with luck they will get sick and leave.

4. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    If you do ever give a dead rodent to your girls I would not tell people about it. I told folks that I would feed a dead gopher to my girls and they all said "...yewwwww, ...[​IMG]:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick...I couldn't eat your eggs if I knew they had eaten that...."

5. AlbionWood

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Wimps! I'll just have to educate my customers better... [​IMG] Watching the gurlz and the chix attack leftover chicken meat was eye-opening. Now I get what y'all mean with the Jurassic Park/Velociraptor references! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by