Caught a little skunk!

hennylove

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Eastern WA Rural
We caught a small skunk in our live trap this morning. The whole family has been seen around our little town this summer. So I expect we may see more of them.?
hmm.png
We had conibears set as well, I guess maybe we were lucky it got into the live trap. We had a neighbor shoot it for us with his 22 rifle. There is definitely an odor out there but not that bad. A raccoon got a couple of our hens about a month ago and since then we keep them locked in the barn at nite. In the last few nights something has been doing some serious digging around our fence and around under our barn. Would skunks dig holes to get under a fence or barn? The fence is buried a foot or more and they haven't found the bottom yet. We beefed up the jolt on our hot wire since the coon attack last month. The barn is on the fence line so we left the holes open so they would come under and end up in the trap(s) Our barn is pretty secure when closed up. The fence is hog wire so I suppose a small skunk might fit thru it if small enough. We also have coyotes (with pups) sighted in town recently. Just trying to protect my little flock, and keep my nerves from getting too frayed! Love this forum, thanks for any advice!

Quote:
Sounds like a raccoon to me. I would set the trap again. Try using marshmallows and bread with jelly on it. Make sure you weigh the trap down with a rock or cinder block. We caught 5 raccoons, 2 opossums and one skunk in July and we THOUGHT we only had trouble with ONE raccoon out there.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom