Caught a thieving skunk, what about the spray?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mradam, Jul 7, 2010.

1. mradam

mradam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Eastern Missouri
    Here's a backround for everyone:
    Something got in my coop a couple weeks ago. Tore up two chickens (had to put them down) and ate the head and neck off a third one. I found no prints, but something small dug under the side of the barn, then back out the side into the run, and then climbed into the coop (confusing yet?).

Anyway, no problems since then, but I've been putting out cage traps. Never caught a thing until last night. Got a skunk. Seen coons and a possum before out there, but never a skunk. I called animal control, then Dept of Conservation. They gave me the okay to shoot it. I tried, tried, tried to get a clean, quick head shot, so it wouldn't spray, but it still sprayed the ground before it met it's maker.

So, finally, here's my question:
    This skunk odor is strong enough to make me feel sick out there, and it's 12 feet from the barn (coop location). Will the chickens get sick from this odor too? Will the eggs they lay for a few days be tainted also? Also, would a skunk likely wound two birds and kill a third(I'm reading mixed reports about their predator tendencies)?

I can move the chickens to their old temporary coop, but it will take a day's worth of work to get it up to par first.

Sorry for the novel here, just wanted to share all the information...

Thanks
    Adam

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I am sure the smell will not make your chickens sick. My outdoor dog got sprayed and he just lived with it until the odor dispersed. I am not sure about the eggs. I would guess that the eggs will smell taste like skunk to you since you have it so in your brain by now.

I thought I smelled skunk on my dog for weeks and guests that would come over and pet him claimed to not smell a thing.

They sure do stink

3. mradam

mradam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Eastern Missouri
    They do stink. I'm still not entirely sure a skunk was the murder culprit, but it's now dispatched. Didn't really count on catching a skunk. I had planned on getting a coon, and taking him way out in the woods (like 5 miles away) and letting him go. But I'm not gonna play around with a skunk! And, to make matter worse, it sprayed right by my garden. If my tomatoes get gross I'm gonna be VERY upset. My chickens and I like our tomatoes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by