Caught an Possum. Killed a chook and eating eggs/chicken food. What to do?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Barbedwirecat, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I lost a chook last night, almost 4 months old. Was not sure what got it, and I swear my hen house is secure. I guess not as much as I thought.

I had previously run off one possum IN my hen house and then repaired what I thought were the entry areas about a month ago.

This morning I found a chicken minus it's body IN the hen house (It's a walk in 20ft x 8ft with attached fully covered run) I don't leave my chickens un penned because I have had at least 3 times coyotes have picked off my flock.

Tonight I go to check on them, and I found a beady eyed visitor munching out of the top of the feeder bucket IN the hen house (surrounded by sleeping chickens I might add).

After much struggle I got him into a small dog kennel cab. I put a tarp over him since it's raining.

What do I do. I've read a bunch of info. I have no gun. I don't feel like relocating is a good idea. He's obviously a problem. Any advice?

2. Tazman99

Tazman99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Perhaps take it to a vet, they may relocate it for you or they can exterminate it.

3. mommamarsh

mommamarsh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    You might contact your local game warden.

4. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Kill it yourself? Get a .22

I myself don't mind possums they don't bother my chickens so there cool. I only hate hawks, foxes, racoons..

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm not sure of your location, but where i live there is a link off the local Animal Control site to the Federal Trapper. For $25 they will come and trap and kill nuisance wild animals. If you're already trapped something, they will come and euthanize it for that $25 fee. If you don't have that service available, there may be companies in the area that will take care of the animal for a fee. Or, you can get a pellet gun and kill it yourself. i am not comfortable with guns, but okay with bb and pellet guns. If you get one with either a pump-up action or a CO2 cartridge, you should be able to take out a small animal, like a possum, raccoon, or the like. i hate killing anything, but when you have an animal that keeps coming back, you really have to deal with it.

6. rgearhead

rgearhead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    S/W Burbs of Chicago
    get a tub or big enough trash can , fill it with water, toss cage n all in , weigh it down for 10 minutes,, done and done''

7. OnceAroundTheBlock

OnceAroundTheBlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Western North Carolina
    That's pretty cruel. There are other quicker ways. [​IMG]

8. Tazman99

Tazman99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I wouldn't drown it, I would either release it a few miles away or kill it via gun or something fast.

9. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Release it in the nearest woody area and check your coop & run again.

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Lethal injections will kill them very quickly

Shoot about 30-40 ML of rubbing alcohol directly into the chest cavity and they will be dead in under a minute

If you relocate (which is illegal in most states) it will probably beat you back home.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by