1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Caught another Possum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rammy, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    About a month or so ago, found out I had about three possums living in my barn. Two went to possum heaven, the third I kindly relocated. Well, Im not sure if its the same possum or not, but when I went out to the barn this morning, guess whats in my trap? Yep!! Another possum. I did not mark it or have anything to mark it, but Im sure its the same possum. The other day, I was reviewing pics on one of my game cams and thought I saw the tail of one of the varmits, and sure enough, here it is in my trap. I guess Im going to have to buy a .22 and have it on hand to send them on thier way humanely. I dont want anything happening to my hens and I know they area danger to them as much as any other predator.

Rammy

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    A .22 would be good to have around but if you don't want to buy a firearm, a good .22 cal pellet gun from walmart would also do the trick! It won't pass through quite like a .22 rifle and tear up your live trap.

3. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    That's ONE reason why I would never relocate a possum (or a raccoon). Another reason is that relocation is just potentially passing off a pest problem on to someone else. I learned this the hard way after I caught a young coon and was loading it up to relocate, when a neighbor stopped by to chat. When I mentioned what I was doing, he just stared at me in disbelief and said, "do you want every neighbor in the county to hate you? Kill that thing before it eats someone else's feed". Of course, I do live in farm country.

Point taken. Coon dispatched "properly".

4. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
  5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    a .22 short works well for possum you might want to google chest compression or cervical dislocation they both work well and are quick and really quiet a possum that is actually dead will defecate if this has not happened be careful it may still be alive playing " possum"

6. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008
    Oh, when it gets taken care of, Im going to make sure it aint playing possum. No more mercy relocations for me.

Rammy

7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    If it is a livetrap a swimming lesson is humane I do it to skunks-no smell.

8. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008
    Im not going to drown it. I will get a gun somewhere and take care of it that way.

Rammy

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I just meant as an alternative to shooting it. Shooting is best if you can do it.
    Quote:

10. quick clean shot to the head is about the best you can do, or berracade up your 'fort knox' with your ladies. I havent had one yet, but last year i had the skunks and opposums at my bird feeder all year. They were no bother to me because the chickens were still chicks in the house. I am worried about seeing them this spring already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by