1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Caught Chicken Drinking Septic Water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockface, Sep 30, 2011.

1. flockface

flockface New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    Help! First time chicken owner here and we need to redo our septic badly....it smells like rotten eggs and worse-- well, you get my drift. One of my chickens, my favorite soft, Princess was drinking the water fresh from a shower! She smelled, too. Not good! I don't know what to do? What to look out for. Do we throw her eggs away? Do I take her to the vet? I just caught her a few minutes ago. I don't want to lose her. I only have 3 chickens. Thanks everyone. I'm devastated.

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I don't think I would worry about it, personally. Chickens will eat anything, and they will peck in fresh dog/goat/horse/etc droppings without a second thought. If it's possible, you may want to prevent her from getting to the septic again, but I wouldn't worry about damage done.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG]

4. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    i would think to get her to drink lots of water to it will wash through her system faster.
    Other than that i don't think it will effect her very negatively

5. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I wouldn't worry very much about it. Every once in awhile I see mine drinking out of the mini duck pool that my wife has set up for her ducks. Even though she cleans it daily ducks crap so much that it's just unbelievable and it pretty much could be compared to water from a septic. Every time I see one of the chickens drink out of it I just wanna puke. [​IMG]

Never had one get sick from it...what really kills me is that they have cool, clean, and fresh water not 10 feet away lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by