1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Caught hen after a month- She still hasn't laid an egg! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CHIC, Sep 16, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    My hen, Annabelle, escaped over a month ago and we finally caught her Saturday. She survived in the woods on her own for over a month. It has now been several days and she used to lay an egg almost every single day. She has yet to lay the first egg. Is there anything that I can do. Anybody ever had this happen? Can it hurt her not to lay? I am worried about her and I don't know what to do. Please help!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    When chickens are stressed they will stop laying. It's normal and she'll start up again after she settles back in. It can take a month or so, so be patient with her.

3. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Wow, thats a long time. I think she is also stressed because I got another hen while she was gone. The new hen is a Silkie and she is quite dominant which surprised me. I thought that Silkies were supposed to be passive.

4. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Neighbor!

Are you sure she didn't have a clutch of babies while she was out? If so, she could be stressing over them. Of course she could just be stressed because she was caught after a month of being totally free.

I don't think her healthy is in danger because she isn't laying though.

5. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    No, I am sure there were no babies because we would see her somewhere around every other day when she was free. I am really bummed about her not laying any eggs because she is such a good layer and she lays blue eggs. I only have two hens that are laying age so that stinks for the time being

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by