Caught her!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tgperg, Mar 24, 2011.

1. tgperg

tgperg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Okay, I caught the delinquent broody hen that's been hiding outside the coop. (Background if you haven't seen the other posts: she's 11 months old, Dominique, runs with a small flock of dominique hens, one dom rooster, a pair of guinea fowl and a mating quad of muscovy ducks. She disappeared and wasn't seen for five days, then started showing up for 10 - 15 minutes a day to eat and drink and dustbathe then would disappear again. Didn't stay in the coop at night. I caught her Sunday and penned her up with the flock for three days, let her out and she disappeared again.) I caught her again today, leg banded her (duh! should have done that in the first place) and now I'm trying to decide what to do with her, housing wise. Any suggestions? I don't think I can find her nest. It's way out in the underbrush somewhere along the creek is my best guess. I'd like to separate her into a broody pen and see if she would take to the nest and set some eggs under her. Does anyone think that would work, or have any ideas to help her take to that?

Traci

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd try and follow her to her nest and atleast try to find her eggs. Their probably 7 or so days along [​IMG] but thats just what I would do.

AC

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    If she's been sitting for five or more days then she would likely sit on eggs in a cage too. I would try it or at least find her nest like Attack Chicken said.

4. tgperg

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    I tried, believe me, I tried. The area where she disappears is across my property line toward a small creek. It's overrun with brush, briars, and a LOT of debris that the neighbor dumped there from some kind of construction project years ago. It's really inaccessible to anyone except a chicken, and probably predators. I've had three chickens over the last year disappear into that area and Sue is the only one who's ever come back. I have her in a cage now in the coop. She's got a nest box, a dusbathing box, food, water and 15 sq. feet of space, and I still feel like a jerk putting her in a cage. I keep telling myself that if she was a battery hen she'd have it a lot worse, and that it will keep her from being eaten. Still feel guilty though.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    You shouldn't feel guilty. Is she still sitting in the cage?

6. tgperg

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Quote:No. And I am QUITE grumpy about that. She's pacing back and forth right now squawking through the bars at me like I'm some kind of an evil overlord or something. I'm hoping she'll settle down soon. As far as I can tell she hasn't even looked at the nest box. For all I know she doesn't like it. Grrrr. Silly chicken.

Traci

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by