caught in the act...pics-**Graphic**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Josh45640, May 4, 2011.

1. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I do nuisance trapping and predator control as a hobby and a side job. Here are some pictures of some predators that were either caught or shot by me on calls for the purpose of protecting someones (some are for me personally) chickens.

This one still had the hen in her mouth when she met her end....
    [​IMG]

This one (the fox not the beaver lol) was caught within 100 feet of a chicken coop after the farmer lost 4 chickens in a week. He also had some flooding issues, hence the beaver.
    [​IMG]

This fella was terrorizing my chickens (along with his mate in the next picture)...
    [​IMG]

This is the mate to the one above....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These two were killed on the same property within 100 yards of the poultry pens. They didnt want me to use traps because of their cats, so I set up an ambush on the trails to the pens and took them out with a couple well placed rifle shots...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This bandit was killing broody hens...
    [​IMG]

This big ole' boar was ripping holes in the chicken wire and causing havok on the birds inside...
    [​IMG]

This one was caught in a trail leading to a duck pen. He was released on the opposite side of the property by request of the landowner.
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now. I was going through some pictures from my phone from this past year and thought some of you might be interested in them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
  2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Good job. Once they set their sights on chickens it is the only way to deal with them.

My boys started trapping when their roosters were killed. The first night they caught the culprit just outside the coop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  3. Autumn1234

Autumn1234 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I grew up in the desert so I've NEVER seen a beaver that big. Wow!

4. Josh45640

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Quote:That was the biggest for me to date. He went 81 pounds. He lived in a river between two cornfields so he was cornfed. He is an exceptionally big beaver, but I catch them in the 60-70 pound range often. 40-60 is average for an adult around here.

5. Josh45640

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Quote:Thats awesome buddy! I love taking the kids (mine and other's) on the trapline.

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] Good shooting tex! [​IMG] I agree with a previous poster, that beaver is HUGE! [​IMG]

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I have a fox that's been coming around my pens, but I really don't want him dispatched if I can avoid it. We have seen him 3 times, and caught a pic on a game camera. But as long as my birds are securely locked up he can't get anyone (I hope).

Hardware cloth runs, covered, buried 12-14" along the walls, flush gates with cement block threshholds, padlocks on the gates, and old brick and rocks lining the base along the outside of the runs to reinforce the buried wire.

My birds only free-range when I'm there with them. I have a redtail, a small hawk, a possum and a fox all ready and waiting for me to screw up one day.....

8. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    cool...been thinking about running some traps

Hope you don't get hollered at too much!

Do you eat beaver? Hae heard it is tasty but never messed with them myself. Really want a skull for the classroom...think I found me a place to get one

9. mtngrl812

mtngrl812 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have coons and skunks around here. I have heard coyotes but not seen one close by...yet! There are foxes, but I haven't seen any signs of any in this area. I have been told there are bobcats and Mt lions, but haven't seen signs of them either. No beavers or possums. Those predators you have caught are some nice looking critters, do you keep the hides? It is a shame we have such conflict with these animals. I think foxes are beautiful, but the are also rare around here. I am sure some people think coyotes are beautiful too, but they are a serious predator in this area, and chickens are not the only thing on their menu!!

Hope your making use of the hides.... I so wish I could have a few foxes. I have an elk hide I need to get finished up.

Thanks for the pics..... I bet you get a bunch of "nay-sayer" though. [​IMG]

10. Josh45640

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Quote:I do eat the younger ones. The big ones tend to be too strong and I use them for bait. I can get you some skulls, but they would beraw so you would have to clean and bleach them yourself or have someone else do it for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by