Caught in the act

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cheirogloss, Oct 20, 2009.

1. cheirogloss

cheirogloss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Lenoir, NC
    This isn't really chicken predator related, but I thought that I would share. Last night I walked onto my front porch to fill the cat food bowls that reside in chicken-proof boxes. I had just walked past my cat Stella in the kitchen and Little Cat was asleep in the living room. Lo and behold, there is crunching coming from inside the cat box on the porch. I knew that it wasn't our outdoor cat, because he is so big that he only sticks his head and hands in when he eats and leaves a big puffy tail and butt hanging out of the box. And who is the source of the crunch and munch?

This little guy...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I grabbed a broom and tried to shoo him out of the box with no success. DH came out and was more successful with the broom and the little guy fled the porch.

2. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    He'll be back to for the free food. [​IMG]

3. Melissakins

Melissakins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    South Alabama
    Those pictures just absolutely made me laugh. It looks like it's saying "Woops....got caught" in that last picture. In the first picture it looks like it's thinking...uh....you can't really see me, can you? [​IMG] LOL

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

What cute pics! And yes, they sure do, crunch and munch! Thanks for sharing!

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Adorable!

6. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    They are cute......and yes, they do some great scavenging...but; what they will do to a chicken or a baby kitten is truly horrible. Definately do not encourage this if you have small cats or chickens. Oh, yes, they wil also eat eggs if they can't catch the chicken. We live trap and remove to a conservation area. Be careful with these "cute" guys. Where there is a little one, you can bet big ones are around somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by