Caught me a RACCOON!!! ~PICS~

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I CAUGHT A RACCOON!

Well, after a week of trying to catch a coon. I finally caught one. I didnt even have bait in the trap.

I went outside to water and feed all the birds, and I saw the trap, with a raccoon in it!!

It was a huge raccoon.

So, we drove a couple miles away, and released it. It was a very cute raccoon.

Im suprised it stayed in the trap, since the one side didnt lock.

Well, here is the pictures of the coon.
    Two pictures are of the raccoon in the trap, and one picture is of it after we let it out of the trap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    They really are cute. Congrats on the capture!

3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Congrats on the catch and release, I know gas prices are high but the next time it might pay to drive just a bit more, these rascals will travel quiet a bit over time![​IMG]

4. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Tonight, HE will have chicken dinner at your house!!! Next time SHOOT the sucker.

5. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:I dont believe in killing an innocent animal, for what they naturally do. I released him miles away, where I know he will not be back.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Good for you for letting him go - and yeah, he is cute! [​IMG]

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I hope no one's planning to shoot me just because WE like to eat chicken, too. Glad you let him go.

8. SundownWaterfowl

I let him go where there is a whole lot of woods. There is hardly anybody around, and nobody has chickens.

The funny thing is, I didnt even use bait.

ETA: I went to feed and water everyone, and then I saw the trap was closed, so I was reaching down to re-set it, and I noticed that there was a raccoon in there. Good thing I didnt open it when I was there. LOL.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Congrats on the catch but I too would have euthanized. In this area at least, they carry disease and relocation often ends up in the animal being killed on it's way back or being someone else's problem or starving because they are on another coon's territory. Some coons keep to a few square miles, but are known to travel distances of 20 if not 100 miles to find new places to live.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I totally understand that... but I personally wouldn't be able to shoot a poor cute thing like that sitting in a cage.

Now if it had a chicken in his funny little hands, well that would be different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by