1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Caught my chicken eating her egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4blackhens, Aug 1, 2008.

1. 4blackhens

4blackhens New Egg

Aug 1, 2008
    My birds are young and just started laying. Yesterday my kids found an egg laid under a tree in the backyard. The egg was broken and all the chickens were eating it. This morning in the egg box, I clearly caught a chicken red handed breaking her own egg and eating it.

ACK!

What do I do?

2. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    cull that chicken! Hopefully, she hasn't taught the others how to do it yet.

3. 4blackhens

4blackhens New Egg

Aug 1, 2008
    Kill her? It's all over for her?

Awww. This sucks.

4. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I had the same thing happen today. And I hope it doesn't become a habit. I will be interested to see if anyone has some methods to deter it. All I do is try to collect every hour, which I am doing anyway since it is hot. But this one was still warm from being freshly laid and I apparently just missed it. I quick took it away and all traces of it. Once they get a taste for it and learn it's a food source it's a hard habit to break.

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Well you could try roll away nest boxes, gathering more frequently, or more protein in the birds' diet. I think the roll away nest boxes are most successful.

We don't cull our birds - they are pets. You have to decide for yourself whether you are willing to lose a few eggs or a few hens.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    try putting golf balls in the nesting boxs !!!! That way they will try to peck the golf balls and get no where and stop doing it, I have a hen that would peck a hole in her egg and I did the golf ball thing, no hole anymore !!! It's worth a try !!!!

7. 4blackhens

4blackhens New Egg

Aug 1, 2008
    Thanks everyone. My husband is on the roll away nest box design and I am off to get some golf balls and in the meantime we are obsessively checking for eggs.

My friend was visiting and I don't think she quite understood my egg obsession this morning. I want my eggs, darn it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by