Caught neighbor's dog killing my birds!!! Neighbor denies everything!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chic-n-farmer, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I glanced out the window just in time to see the neighbor's dog chasing one of my fawn runners. I tell my husband to run and possibly scare it off the duck while I went for the 22 rifle. DH runs after the dog (and the duck he has in his mouth) who is headed down the road toward his home.
    I take the shortcut around the lake to try in head him off. I can't help but notice the red feathers scattered along the trail! Those explain what happened to our rooster while we were at church this morning!
    As I approach the neighbor's place I see the dog/duck at the edge of the lake but can't take a safe shot. The dog (with the apparently dead duck) runs off into the woods.
    While I discuss this problem with the dog owner my DH is trying to follow the dog. Owner promises AGAIN to keep dog chained, denies EVER hearing about his dog killing before this. As a matter of fact he doesn't know HIS DOG is killing our pets. Can you say "discrepancies"??!!
    About this time his dog slinks into the yard and the owner points out that the dog is not covered in blood. Therefore he must be innocent! My husband shows up soon after the dog
    with a bloody but ALIVE duck! (He threw a large rock at the dog and hit it, it dropped the duck and ran off. Dh was shocked to see the duck was still alive but missing skin and feathers.
    DH talked to this guy 2 weeks ago today after seeing the dog run off with one of my Wyandotte hens! He swore he would keep the dog chained until he found him a home. Well, in the meantime ,we've lost a pet duck, pet turkey and this morning my rooster was missing and there is a trail of feathers leading to his place. (on the way home I found what is left of the turkey)
    Today the guy said he'd chain the dog up, and I suggested he do it instantly! He also said he would take it to the pound as it wasn't really his, it had belonged to his GF's son and then to his GF, and it wasn't REALLY his and blah blah blah. I explained the "Harboring " law to him and I said I'd just
    take the dog with me to assure it actually went to the pound.
    The guy agreed to me taking the dog with me but carried on the whole time I tied the dog up. Not, technically, HIS dog, it just lives there. Dog is actually innocent (this one despite having seen the dog with jaws locked on the duck). Surely I am not wanting to shoot the dog just for the heck of it... (he said that one rather sarcastically!) He said I was being argumentative when I asked why he kept letting the dog loose to kill my animals!
    I came home with my 22 draging a 125 lb, pit bull mixed breed dog with icy blue eyes... what in the world IS this dog? By this time my knickers are seriously twisted! I could have dropped the dog in a heartbeat when it was after the duck, but now, with it safely chained to I tree, I can't shoot it!
    The dog catcher made an emergency trip out here and I had to load the dog in his truck because it only would let me near it. Now, because of the neighbor's irresponsibility, it will be my fault the dog is put down.
    I know I'm ranting and this is terribly long, but I had to blow off steam to people who would understand. I've been having some really un-Christian thoughts about beating the neighbor with a broom handle. I just absolutely hate the thought of that dog dying when there are other options. I've already rescued one bird-killing dog and can't take in another. Especially one that growls at DH and kids. And yes, even after 6 years my rescue dog would kill my chickens and ducks if he were to get loose.
    Thanks for 'listening' and sorry to have carried on so much.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    It's not your fault the dog will be put down.

I sorta feel bad for all of you. It sounds like this guy ended up with a dog he
    didn't want, not that his irresponsibility is justified in any way.

The next time the dog comes on your property shoot it. You'll be doing the
    poor dog a favor and protecting your animals.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    its a sad situation all around..i feel for you..and the dog and the poor birds..[​IMG]...Wendy

4. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It is in no way, shape or form your fault that the dog will be put down. In fact your hubby is darn lucky it didn't drop the duck and turn and defend it's catch. Think he can outrun a dog intent on doing damage? Tell him next time don't chase unless he has the gun!

5. Chic-n-farmer

Believe me, PurpleChicken, if the dog knocked on my door to let me know he was planning a duck dinner I would shoot it. When I saw him he was over 300 feet away and going for it.
    It's been my experience that you usually don't know/hear trouble with the chickens until the culprit is leaving with the bird in it's mouth, and running fast. At least that is the way it is with an experienced repeat offender. This isn't like a dog who chases a bird out of curriousity or playfulness.
    With this type of dog it is more like a wild animal hunting. I've managed to get a few by quietly opening a window and shooting from the house!
    I've had trouble like this in the past, with neighbor's who just don't care what their dogs do. Once, it was obvious that the dogs were actually killing for food. It's a shame the animals suffer for the humans' ignorance and neglect.
    Thanks for the kind words.

6. Chic-n-farmer

[​IMG] The duck made it through the night.

7. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I have the same problem here. I have lost a duck and about 6 chickens I'm pretty sure to the neighbors dog. I caught him once with my BO Roo and got it back after I yelled at it and chased it. He came running back to my property with all of his tail feathers missing except 3. I have seen that dog on my property chasing my chickens about 3 times since and he always takes off when I open the door to shoot him with the BB gun. One of these days I just may SSS that dang dog. (shoot, shovel, and shut up)

Jayare

8. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    hi

yes its very bad when a person doesnt know what a chain is. i got neighbore like that. after the 2nd time my dad went down there and told him if he finds the dog at the house (my house) he will shoot it and take the dog and put it on his doorstep. surprise the dog never came back. you may have to. protect your family and your animals. cause if you dont go and threat to shoot the dog nothing will get done. even if you just take the dog to the farthest shelter that you can drive to. maybe a threat will work. most of the time it does work, at least in my case it did, its worth a try. and good luck

9. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    SSS the owners for not controlling their dog

10. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    It's not your fault at all that the dog has to be put down. It's the fault of an irresponsible pet owners.

(I've work at a an animals shelter for many year and dealt with stories like this and I hate to see the victim feel and guilt.)

If the owner of the animal was responsible enough to actually know what the dog was doing and where it was, then none of this would have happen. If the owner cared enough about the dog they wouldn't allow it to run willy nilly in the woods.

What is even worst if that he didn't even care enough about the dog to take owner ship of the animal. That is always sad to me, when people go on and on, Oh no this is so and so's dog not mine. People need to grow up and take responsibility for there actions and the actions of those they care for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by