Caught One....Now What?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ILoveJoe, Aug 12, 2008.

1. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I borrowed a hav-a-heart type trap from a co-worker and last night caught this guy.

[​IMG]

A big boar raccoon, with a crabby attitude.

I have called my local animal shelter who told me to call the Dept of Fish and Wildlife, that THEY relocate the animal to parks. I mentioned that releasing wild animals into parks was illegal and he said THEY are the Dept of Fish and Widlife! Well needless to say the Dept of Fish and Wildlife told me THEY do not release the animals...BUT I can! I need 100 contiguous acrea and the landowners permission. They also can hook me up with private animal control that will charge a fee to dispose of the 'coon.

I called 2 of these guys. The first one, a gruff crabby old dude said he releases the coons onto his own property and would charge me 45 to do that. He is located in the same county I am in.

The 2nd guy would euthanise the coon with carbon dioxide for 50 if I bring the coon to him. He also told me a boar coon can travel 30 miles to get back to his home range, and I would have to release him farther out than that. Then the coon runs the risk of starvation etc...

GAWD [​IMG]

I just want safe chickens, I don't want to deal with this everytime I trap a critter.

Oh and before anyone suggests it, NO I can not DO this guy IN myself. I don't have it in me.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Unfortunately, this is the reality of it. You can shoot him, Find someone with 100 acres and get their permission or release him where you found him. If you release him where you found him, you will need a coop and a run like Fort Knox. Another option is to contact a wildlife rescue group. Sometimes they have options.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  3. brahma-momma

brahma-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Burnside, Ky
    if you could find someone with coon hounds they would gladly take him off your hands:)

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    We just shoot the ones we trap. Don't you know someone that will shoot it for you? Silly question, but what did you think you would do with something once you caught it? If you drive it some where make sure it is in a truck in case it poops you don't want that in your vechile! [​IMG]

5. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Quote:I'll take him!!! LOL!

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

If I caught something like that, I would drive it to the national park & release it, of course that's not far from me at all & would've also likely been where he came from.

isn't it possible that now he knows you can catch him & that he or she will stay away because they are wary of you?

I have NEVER had this happen yet, so obviously I have no real solution for you, but am hoping to learn from these instances.

7. belibutn

belibutn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    East TN
    Raccoons are pretty smart. You could use the Pavlov's Dogs kind of training. You know, where you rang a bell then fed them and then when they hear the bell later they know it's time to eat.

Well, doing something like that, you could show him a chicken and then poke him with a stick. Show him the chicken, poke him with a stick... maybe eventually he will fear chickens and thus be safe enough to release back where you caught him at. [​IMG]

8. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Okay. I had thought when I caught anything, I would just take it and release it 'elsewhere'. I already got the "you weren't thinking this through" lecture from hubby.

By state law I can release it myself, but I need 100 contiguous acres and the landowners permission. I just got off the phone with my friend who leases several thousand acres for hunting etc and I am taking the coon out there later today.

We have a 22 but have never used it. [​IMG]

He is currently in the cool barn awaiting transport.

NOW to get him OUTTA there is gonna be fun. My friends hubby said once I get that door open to RUN! This is gonna be fun!!

9. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi,
    I've caught 3 on my acre this summer. (See pic of my 3rd one in trap waiting to be let out.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=79306

To let them go, just point the trap towards the fields and lift the door. They usually shoot out like a cannon ball.

Good of you to trap and release. Much as I hate what these guys do to chickens (believe me, after many hens being killed on eggs) I'd like to murder them. BUT I couldn't shoot one even if I had a gun. We released these three near the river on state land, about 10 miles south of any farms, towns, etc.

10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just take a drive and let it go somewhere. Don't you need groceries or something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by